roberts_zak

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
About 6 months ago I got an SSD that i thought was a steal, a OCZ Vertex 2, but it was one of the VTXE serial numbers which apparently they used downgraded products for or something when they manufactured it(worse then the Vertex 2's with the VTX serial number).

So i set it up as the boot drive, and now it is starting to fail. It does have a 3 year warranty on it, so i should be able to get it replaced, but my question is having to do more with storing all of my information while it is gone.

I currently have it set up so only the OS is stored on the SSD and everything else, user profiles programs, etc.., is stored on my 1.5TB hd.

So i was trying to figure out if there was anyway that I can be able to save all of my current information while the SSD is away. I'm hoping that i can just take the SSD out, and then when the new one comes in, re-install the OS and change the registry like i did on the first one to point to the appropriate areas on the Hard drive. Would this work or would this cause all kinds of errors when trying to use the programs?

the other thing i was thinking was trying to do a system image on the 1.5tb hd, then after i get my new SSD restoring that image onto it. Not 100% sure if this would work either, and i'm hoping that someone else here has had the same issue or may be able to tell me if either of these would work or not.

any and all information is appreciated.
thanks
~Zak

PS. OS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Solution
I had purchased a Vertex2 1.8" drive for my work laptop. Not a week later it died on me. I sent it back to OCZ and they sent me a new one 5 days later, which lasted about 10 days so I sent that back also. The next day they replied with an offer to replace my Vertex 2 with an Agility 3 2.5" and I took the offer. The Agility 3 has been working a few months now without any problems.

Get your hands on a copy of Acronis True Image bootable cd and a second drive. Pop in the cd and boot your pc. You then point it to the source and target disks and it will make a clone of your system on the second disk. Then just set your BIOS to boot from the second drive and you are set!

Once you get your OCZ back just do the same.
The entire process takes...

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I had purchased a Vertex2 1.8" drive for my work laptop. Not a week later it died on me. I sent it back to OCZ and they sent me a new one 5 days later, which lasted about 10 days so I sent that back also. The next day they replied with an offer to replace my Vertex 2 with an Agility 3 2.5" and I took the offer. The Agility 3 has been working a few months now without any problems.

Get your hands on a copy of Acronis True Image bootable cd and a second drive. Pop in the cd and boot your pc. You then point it to the source and target disks and it will make a clone of your system on the second disk. Then just set your BIOS to boot from the second drive and you are set!

Once you get your OCZ back just do the same.
The entire process takes between 30-50 minutes depending on the amount of data on your system disk.

Solution

roberts_zak

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
that is exactly what i wanted to hear. I assume that the replacement will have the same warranty as the original? best case scenario they send me and agility 3 the first time around.

thanks though, that has helped a lot.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Yep! New disk , new warranty! Just follow the RMA process with the RMA info they send you. If they take more than a few days to send off the new disk, email them about how long they are taking and explain how much suffering you have been through during the whole process :D. They will respond immediately!