Help needed with my first build

G

Hi this is only my second ever post on this site, sorry if i dont give you all the info you need first off and thanks for any help or advice you all can give.

I am looking to build a good system to start overclocking with (something i haven't done before). I dont mind spending a bit of cash for something that will be future proof.

core i7 seems to be a good place to start and mobo : asus p7p55d-e looking appealing. Is it possible to get something with same performance for less money??

Any help, advice suggestions very appreciated

thnx

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
what resolution are you gaming at? (what size monitor) and what games? how much do you want to spend? "future proof" is a very expensive term. you can build a good system for ~$1000...a great system for $2000 and a top system for the $3000-$4000 range. IMO most need a system between $1000 and $2000.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Motherboard: ASUS P7H55D-M Evo ($125)
Processor: Intel Core i4 750 @ 2.66GHz ($200)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB 1333 Model: F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH ($115)
Video Card: XFX Ati Radeon HD5770 1GB CFX Ready ($160)
Case: Thermaltake Element T Mid Tower ($70)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Model: ST31000528AS ($90) ***
SSD: Intel X25-V 40GB SSD (use for boot drive) ($130)
Optical Drive: OEM DVD Burner ($30)
Power Supply: XFX P1-650X ($120)

Total price USD $1140

*** = Buy your hard drive in retail box. I have had tons of dead drives arrive when I buy OEM. Retail drives are packaged nicely and you won't have to worry about returning etc.

Okay, this is a really solid system and I mean it. From the reputable board to the power supply to the beauty of a case. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

You can strip it down a little if you would like. If you think you want a less powerful video card you can get a HD5670 instead and if you want to do without the SSD, that is also alright. If you don't think you need all the nice parts, you can also get a less powerful PSU. Not that if you get less watts you usually sacrifice modular cabling and efficiency. Choose from Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec if you choose a different one.

Good luck.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
It is difficult to do a proper build if you do not provide enough crucial info ...

This thread prolly won't go anywhere fast if you do not fill out this form (as much as you can), ... especially intended uses, and what parts are not to be included in the (clearly) specified budget range.

Take a minute ... Fill out this form and paste it into this thread .... everybody else does and it is in YOUR best interest !

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

= Al =

G

Ok so i have filled out the form.... here it goes

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 months max, i will have to buy the parts gradually for the budget of £1000 i am setting myself

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I just want a solid system that i can learn and become knowlegable with. System MUST be a good overclocker

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: need full system, inc keybord mouse ect. building from ground up

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Uk is obviously better for me, delivery prices are lower and i am not waiting too long, but i dont mind if the price is right

PARTS PREFERENCES: antec twelve hundred case is a definate.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes,

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800) Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: ???water cooling maybe???

G

ok i messed up with that one... couldnt find out how to delete so here goes again...

Ok so i have filled out the form.... here it goes

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 months max, i will have to buy the parts gradually for the budget of £1000 i am setting myself

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I just want a solid system that i can learn and become knowlegable with. System MUST be a good overclocker

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: need full system, inc keybord mouse ect. building from ground up

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Uk is obviously better for me, delivery prices are lower and i am not waiting too long, but i dont mind if the price is right

PARTS PREFERENCES: antec twelve hundred case is a definate and core i7

OVERCLOCKING: Yes,

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: ???water cooling maybe???

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Forget water-cooling .. nothing to be gained there (4U), much to lose, tho.

Budget sounds just fine: 1000 British pounds = 1 515.9 U.S. dollars

Looks like a socket 1156 build, to me ... A Core i5-750 ~thru~ A core i7-860 .

That would be an INTEL build ... An AMD/AM3 build will save you up to 100 British pounds but I think, with you goals and intent, the INTEL build is indicated.

You are going to want a premium aftermarket cpu air cooler (fan+sink) and you really should bone up on the procedure for installing CP
U and application of premium thermal compound (thermal paste) ... the procedure is a little tricky and you must remove any factory applied thermal transfer coatings, from the cooling plate. Mainly, "keep it all very clean (no finger oils or dust, in the thermal junction) and DON'T use TOO MUCH PASTE ! ... There are links aavailable in the "How To" and "Boot Probs" (bold faced) sticky threads, at the top of this (new build) forum page. Pull those two docs and dnld ... read BOTH and follow links!

A PSU in the ~550W~thru~750W~ range that is "80-PLUS SILVER RATED" and is SLI/Crossfire Ready (or Certified) is the way to go ... one with a SINGLE +12V RAIL ... Everybody here swears by Corsair (pricey tho) and they are justified in doing so.

Spinpoint HDDs are a great "favorite value/performance HDD', as are Caviar Blacks (and Blues). Go with HDDs of at least 500GB (1TB optimal) for high-density streaming performance reasons.

Look for a Mobo which sports "USB3.0 and SATA-III" connections.

Look for a mobo that supports 8x8 SLI/Crossfire.

Ask (here) what RAM has the best timings for O.C. on your chosen mobo.

Do not eshew AMD/AM3 builds without exploring and researching the options and comparing cost/performance. Savings can be applied to critical/priority subsystem components.

Make sure your monitor has a maximum refresh of 6 millisecs (to avoid motion ghosting) ... A 2ms gray-to-gray refresh is desirable.

Choose GPUs with a display-port option, rather than a D-sub VGA because BOTH DVI and Display ports can be converted to VGA but VGA cannot be converted to anything else. Display port can be adapted to DVI/HDMI**/VGA and many projectors and HDTVs provide for display port inputs.

SSDs are nothing short of "revolutionary" ... get a 40GB~80GB SSD as a boot drive, if your budget allows ... better to do that NOW rather than later (for boot drive) because you likely won't want to re-install, from scratch, later.

Anyway ... That is YOUR general landscape, as *I* see it ... There are plenty of opinions, here ... heed those members who have "addict" status ... They LIVE here!.

= jump in, guys ! =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Mobos with USB3.0 and SATA-III ports will add 18months to the lifespan viability of your mobo. Look for popular boards with high user ratings. ASUS and GIGABYTE brands tend to dominate this spec, at the moment.

= Al =