Dvd multi/cd drive Whats good?

Nubbie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
There are so many choices on dvd/cd drives out there and I can not make a decision on what to buy. I am needing the communities advice on some good ones that ya'll have had good luck with. Doing my first build , so far I have GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard -AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive-OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3BE1600C8LV4G Also is this psu big enough for this setup?Corsair Professional Series 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Computer Power Supply CMPSU-750HX, Active PFC, Supports SATA and PCI-E

Solution
I used to really like Plextor but they are too expensive. The only LITE-ON drive I bought, died after 9 months. My drive of choice is Samsung, followed closely by LG. And that's mostly determined by availability. In the U.S., I buy Samsung. In Saudi Arabia, no one imports and distributes Samsung, so I buy LG. I do not see any difference between the two in long term reliability. They both come with Nreo Lite for software.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
PIONEER

PLEXTOR

LG

LITE-ON

If you get the retail versions of the PLEXTOR drives, they come with all sorts of decent DVD utility SW (ROXIO or NERO, et. al.). The retail ver of the PIONEER prolly also has SW included. PLEXTOR and PIONEER are also very good about convenient firmware updates (easy to do) from their support page.

The LiteOn is a solid OEM brand and I have never had issue with them, but you will need to scavenge some Burning & Copying utilities.

Lastly, SONY and PANASONIC are ofen just fine, but they sub-out so many models that the end user can't be (absolutely) sure if the particular model-series is "all-good".

For BluRay go with LG ... Regular DVD burners, Go with Pioneer or Plextor *RETAIL*.

= Al =

I used to really like Plextor but they are too expensive. The only LITE-ON drive I bought, died after 9 months. My drive of choice is Samsung, followed closely by LG. And that's mostly determined by availability. In the U.S., I buy Samsung. In Saudi Arabia, no one imports and distributes Samsung, so I buy LG. I do not see any difference between the two in long term reliability. They both come with Nreo Lite for software.

Solution

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192

This is a great little drive for the price. I got it free with my case, and it burns quite a bit faster then my old LITE ON drive. Went from 5 720p episodes taking 44 minutes to burn to 23-24 minutes. I wouldnt mind the reviews for it, i think people are idiots and it looks like most of them didnt plug it in right. Mine worked perfectly from the get go.