Booting/vid input problem =/

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hello everyone,

I recently completed my first build. I believe that I have everything wired correctly. I am running into a message on my monitor saying 'no video input detected'. I've unplugged and replugged my ATI 5770. The 6 pin connector is connected. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Will Malcom

The 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket is firmly plugged in? There was no change when trying each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot? Did you perform all the steps in the checklist that are meant to rule out a short (steps # 3 & 14 as well as the breadboarding suggestion at the end of the checklist)?

I'm sorry to question you about these things. It's just that everybody coming here asking for help with this type of problem SAYS they've been through the checklist. The problem usually ends up being something that was in the checklist all along. Just yesterday I had somebody who swore they'd been through the checklist. The problem ended up being #2 which is in large, bold, red print. :)

What are the complete system specs?

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have run through the list very carefully, I am a very thorough person =), I understand your skepticism however =).

Okey dokey. Here are the system specs. AMD Phenom II x4 955, ATI Radeon 5770 PCIe 1Gb (currently in upper PCI-E16x slot), 2x2gb Gskill DDR3 1600, Antec EA 650 PSU, Antec 300 mid-tower case, Gigabyte GA 790_UD4 AM3 SATA 6gb/s MOBO, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM HDD.

Coming from my PSU, but not connected are the 2x2 and 3x2 PCI connectors (for xfiring another GPU). Also, there are some Molex connectors that are not in use of course. HDD and DVDr sata cables are connected. I took it apart and put it all back together, and am not wanting to feed anymore power to it until I hear something more.

Thanks 1,000,000!

EDIT: I just plugged it in, and I am getting the same no video signal, check input cable. The good news is that all of my fans are turning (CPU cooler, fan on actual vid card, case fans, etc. All indicator lights are turning on also).

Sorry if it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still not getting the impression the 8-pin CPU power connector is plugged in. Your PSU has both a 6-pin and a 6+2-pin PCI-E power connector. It also has a 2x2 4-pin and 2x4 8-pin connector. Those are for the 8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket under the heatsink that says "Ultra Durable" on it. The 2x2 4-pin connector won't be needed. It's just there for older motherboard that use a 4-pin CPU power connector. You'll just use the 2x4 8-pin connector since your motherboard has an 8-pin connector. You can see the CPU power connector in the picture looking down on the motherboard on Newegg. Both the main 24-pin motherboard power connector AND the 8-pin CPU power connector HAVE to be plugged in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=13-128-416-Z03&SpinSet=13-128-416-RS&ISList=13-128-416-Z01%2c13-128-416-Z02%2c13-128-416-Z03%2c13-128-416-Z04%2c13-128-416-Z05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813128416&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=GIGABYTE%20GA-790XTA-UD4%20AM3%20AMD%20790X%20SATA%206Gb%2fs%20USB%203.0%20ATX%20AMD%20Motherboard

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Yep, it's plugged. Everything is getting power correctly I think. All of my fans are turning (including the fan on my video card). My cables are all connected snug as well. I am just getting 'no video signal, check input cable'.

EDIT: I am using the HDMI adapter that came with the GPU and plugging it into the GPU. There are two separate slots to plug it into, I've tried both.

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Nope, that's what I just doing. I've tried each stick separately, and no change. One thing that this board does not have is the internal speaker. From what I've read, beeps can be helpful in diagnosing problems. Should I attempt hooking up the monitor speakers to see if I get any beeps?

Also, I have been working in a tile room with a static pad and a wrist attachment. I am 100% positive that ESD is not the problem.

My girlfriend just came home and brought with her the HDMI cable I requested. I plugged it in instead of using the funky adapters, no change. Maybe try the other set of PCI e cables?

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Ok, thanks! Any other ideas? Maybe RMA? I'll probably begrudgingly take it to the guy in town tomorrow if I cant get it moving. Like I said, I've tried everything in the checklist. I just have no idea here. Is there any kind of 900# tech support or anything that is worth calling?

Thanks!

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, I get the feeling that I if I sent it back and got another GPU, I'd have the same error. I don't have any idea what I may have done wrong. So ... maybe start over again? Take everything out and put it all back? If I do this, will I have any problems with the CPU taking any damage when removing the heat sink or anything? I'm not just saying I followed the checklist for troubleshooting, I followed it to the letter =( ... talk about a let down!

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Ok, yeah I was careful to make sure all stand offs were in the correct place and everything was secured correctly. Well, I guess that is what I will do now!

I appreciate your help, just to let you know.

How does this sound as far as next moves go:
---Get a Mobo speaker so that I can better diagnose the problem, install and listen for beep pattern
---If I am not able to get anywhere by doing this, I will remove all components to breadboard.
---Breadboard, try to identify short/component problem.

Sound okay?

Also, you seem to firmly believe that I am making an error that I can correct, or overlooking a detail. Given your experience, I am inclined to agree with you. I just hope that this is the case I don't know your age but I am from the instant gratification generation, so I apologize if I seem impatient :D