Closed Solved

AVR's and UPC's,

I have a 500Watt UPS from APC which is a reliable company. I was wondering if my UPC can handle my PC which has a 550watt PSU and all its parts. Do you think this UPS can handle my current setup, plus a printer and a 110w desk light?? Uninterrupted Power Supplies or AVR's are basically safeguards so that cleaner power and short blackouts would not affect my PC for a short time. Thus giving me a little electricity via an onboard battery for a few minutes.
My current specs are:

Core 2duo E7500
Intel DG35EC
Radeon 5850
4 GB Kingston DDR2 800
Coolmaster RealPower SLI 550W
Gigabyte G-lite pro heatsink
RAM cooler fan

Will this still be usable if I change my MB to a Gigabyte Ud3A and a core i7 920 or 930?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. It would probably give you just enough time to save work and shut down not much more than that.
  2. saaiello said:
    It would probably give you just enough time to save work and shut down not much more than that.

Yeah but so far I have been lucky enough not to experience a full blackout. The system has gone through a lightning storm and a few power fluctuations however but not enough for the whole system to shut down.

Another question though, a figurative one. If I took my GPU out and 2 gigs of Ram, would that extend the "downtime of the UPS" to allow for an extra minute or two in any case of a blackout? Just a figurative question as i was wondering if these batteries in the UPS could handle that?
  3. Best answer
    Pull the plug of the APC UPS that will tell you the real scenario of a total power outage. Then you will see how long you will have power on your PC.

Chances are your PC is not drawing 500W. PC Power consumption is a function of what your PC is doing.

You can run stress software such is prime95/furmark then pull the plug of the APC / UPS to make it run on batteries.
  4. leon2006 said:
    Pull the plug of the APC UPS that will tell you the real scenario of a total power outage. Then you will see how long you will have power on your PC.

Chances are your PC is not drawing 500W. PC Power consumption is a function of what your PC is doing.

You can run stress software such is prime95/furmark then pull the plug of the APC / UPS to make it run on batteries.

I am thinking of trying it out just to test, do you suggest this or is it generally bad for my PC?
  5. Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
  6. Do it. It won't harm your pc
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components