Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AVR's and UPC's,

Last response: in Components
May 13, 2010 6:21:18 AM

I have a 500Watt UPS from APC which is a reliable company. I was wondering if my UPC can handle my PC which has a 550watt PSU and all its parts. Do you think this UPS can handle my current setup, plus a printer and a 110w desk light?? Uninterrupted Power Supplies or AVR's are basically safeguards so that cleaner power and short blackouts would not affect my PC for a short time. Thus giving me a little electricity via an onboard battery for a few minutes.
My current specs are:

Core 2duo E7500
Intel DG35EC
Radeon 5850
4 GB Kingston DDR2 800
Coolmaster RealPower SLI 550W
Gigabyte G-lite pro heatsink
RAM cooler fan

Will this still be usable if I change my MB to a Gigabyte Ud3A and a core i7 920 or 930?

More about : avr upc

a b ) Power supply
May 13, 2010 7:43:36 AM

It would probably give you just enough time to save work and shut down not much more than that.
Score
May 13, 2010 8:56:19 AM

saaiello said:
It would probably give you just enough time to save work and shut down not much more than that.

Yeah but so far I have been lucky enough not to experience a full blackout. The system has gone through a lightning storm and a few power fluctuations however but not enough for the whole system to shut down.

Another question though, a figurative one. If I took my GPU out and 2 gigs of Ram, would that extend the "downtime of the UPS" to allow for an extra minute or two in any case of a blackout? Just a figurative question as i was wondering if these batteries in the UPS could handle that?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
May 13, 2010 1:02:47 PM

Pull the plug of the APC UPS that will tell you the real scenario of a total power outage. Then you will see how long you will have power on your PC.

Chances are your PC is not drawing 500W. PC Power consumption is a function of what your PC is doing.

You can run stress software such is prime95/furmark then pull the plug of the APC / UPS to make it run on batteries.

May 14, 2010 6:43:46 AM

leon2006 said:
Pull the plug of the APC UPS that will tell you the real scenario of a total power outage. Then you will see how long you will have power on your PC.

Chances are your PC is not drawing 500W. PC Power consumption is a function of what your PC is doing.

You can run stress software such is prime95/furmark then pull the plug of the APC / UPS to make it run on batteries.

I am thinking of trying it out just to test, do you suggest this or is it generally bad for my PC?
Score
May 14, 2010 6:44:40 AM

Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
Score
a b ) Power supply
May 15, 2010 12:52:14 AM

Do it. It won't harm your pc
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 7, 2010 2:07:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score