Design Pump Flow and Pump Recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

suteck

Distinguished
Hello you water cooling Gods!!, As the thread title says, I'm looking for some answers as to how many GPM/LPM a pump in a water cooling loop requires for optimum cooling performance and some suggestions on which pumps, (off the top of your heads to help narrow down the search), that can pull that off with the radiators I am thinking of using. This is the beginning of the work in progress so accompanying links for research are GREATLY appreciated. I haven't purchased any new water cooling equipment for this build yet but I do have some laying around. I've done some water cooling in the past but it really didn't perform to well and I really don't much care for and have tried the prebuilt systems that just don't quite give me the performance I'd like, so, here I am, ready to learn and do. I did just purchase an AZZA Fusion 4000 and I am looking to set up a nice water cooling unit. I will only start with the cpu cooling, but I want to build the Rad/Pump/Res setup to be able to add the GPU and memory at a later date. Funds of course.

I'm am looking at the TFC X changer 480 and 360 rads. I will be using both of them in the loop and I like the lower fin count so I don't have an airplane next to me while it's running.

So, this being in the "seeking an answer section", the question is - with those rads running in series, what pump will give me the 1.0 to 1.5 GPM , (which I think is the recommended flow rate), Or do you need all the components/blocks before you can actually answer that question?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Solution
I re-read your post OP, missed one bit of info.

I haven't purchased any new water cooling equipment for this build yet but I do have some laying around. I've done some water cooling in the past but it really didn't perform to well and I really don't much care for and have tried the prebuilt systems that just don't quite give me the performance I'd like, so, here I am, ready to learn and do.
well then its fitting for me to say * welcome back to watercooling* ? apart from that what sort of *watercooling+system* hardware do you having at your disposal?

from the entire post, I can sum up two options:
1| get a kit setup since you're on a cpu only diet which is capable of future upgrades as you seem to be on budget
2| move with a...

suteck

Distinguished
I see where the Aquacomputer Airplex Revolution 420/360 G1/4 performs the best, at least I think that's what it's telling me. But they don't have the same model in the 480 version so I'm looking all over for those. And I like the MCP35X2 pump. It looks like it will be enough for all the pumping needs.

Lutfij

Titan
I re-read your post OP, missed one bit of info.

I haven't purchased any new water cooling equipment for this build yet but I do have some laying around. I've done some water cooling in the past but it really didn't perform to well and I really don't much care for and have tried the prebuilt systems that just don't quite give me the performance I'd like, so, here I am, ready to learn and do.
well then its fitting for me to say * welcome back to watercooling* ? apart from that what sort of *watercooling+system* hardware do you having at your disposal?

from the entire post, I can sum up two options:
1| get a kit setup since you're on a cpu only diet which is capable of future upgrades as you seem to be on budget
2| move with a custom loop with a 240/420rad and get the best pump(along with fittings res and tubing ofc) within your budget and later add on hardware to your loop -> expensive but easily expansive.

as posted above, the watercooling sticky is like the watercoolers manual great for both pro's and newcomers! Your stops should always route you back to the sticky :)

*there's a below ambient temp setup at the top of the forums section, might want to check it out if you'd want to go full on custom DIY.
**low rpm fans will go along with low finned rads, but with fans these days, there's just too many. But there's Google and reviews at your disposal. The sticky also has a section covering the fans.

Hope these help

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.