Onboard video, does it matter?

Hey guys, If your going to be running a PCI-E vid card does it matter if your board has onboard video aswell? or are you just paying for something your not going to use?
10 answers Last reply
More about onboard video matter
  1. it wont madder if it has onboard video ( you will just need ti disable it in the bios )
  2. yes, if you are using a dedicated video card, the onboard goes unused.

you don;t need to disable it in the BIOS though. the PC will see there is a PCI card connected and automatically take care of that.

integrated GPUs arent expensive though. so you are unlikely to save much by getting a board without one.
  3. O/T for TS needs but related to title: yes onboard matters for example

Older gen GF6xxx and ATI 690G IGP would absolutely be rubbish for blu ray but once u hit the DX 10 GF8200/HD 3200 IGP things get waaaay better tHE 785G/HD 4200 is a refinement of those two
  4. er... not relevant if he has a dedicated video card though...

or where you just trying to add that as a piece of info for other people looking at the thread?
  5. The latter ^^
  6. i see, never mind me then.
  7. welshmousepk said:
    yes, if you are using a dedicated video card, the onboard goes unused.

you don;t need to disable it in the BIOS though. the PC will see there is a PCI card connected and automatically take care of that.

True.

Quote:
    integrated GPUs arent expensive though. so you are unlikely to save much by getting a board without one.
    In fact, IGP boards tend to be less expensive because they are intended for budget builds.

Compare these two motherboards:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372
    GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

AMD models are pretty much the same.
  8. I would note that if you ever run into problems and suspect it might be the graphics card, having on-board video can make troubleshooting a heck of a lot easier.

-Wolf sends
  9. Wolfshadw said:
    I would note that if you ever run into problems and suspect it might be the graphics card, having on-board video can make troubleshooting a heck of a lot easier.

-Wolf sends

a very good point.
  10. im with wolfshadow as well its always good to have a mobo with that makes things that much easier if you have a problem. not too mention if your like me and are waiting for the newest version of the hd 5970 or the gtx 480 and dont want to buy a vid card till you see the new breeds coming an integrated video card can hold you over for a little while =P
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Video PCI Express Systems Product