Sign in with
Your question

Onboard video, does it matter?

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2010 11:44:01 PM

Hey guys, If your going to be running a PCI-E vid card does it matter if your board has onboard video aswell? or are you just paying for something your not going to use?

More about : onboard video matter

March 5, 2010 11:54:08 PM

it wont madder if it has onboard video ( you will just need ti disable it in the bios )
m
l
March 5, 2010 11:57:10 PM

yes, if you are using a dedicated video card, the onboard goes unused.

you don;t need to disable it in the BIOS though. the PC will see there is a PCI card connected and automatically take care of that.

integrated GPUs arent expensive though. so you are unlikely to save much by getting a board without one.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2010 3:03:33 AM

O/T for TS needs but related to title: yes onboard matters for example

Older gen GF6xxx and ATI 690G IGP would absolutely be rubbish for blu ray but once u hit the DX 10 GF8200/HD 3200 IGP things get waaaay better tHE 785G/HD 4200 is a refinement of those two
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:23:59 AM

er... not relevant if he has a dedicated video card though...

or where you just trying to add that as a piece of info for other people looking at the thread?
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:26:05 AM

The latter ^^
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:28:04 AM

i see, never mind me then.
m
l
March 6, 2010 1:32:54 PM

welshmousepk said:
yes, if you are using a dedicated video card, the onboard goes unused.

you don;t need to disable it in the BIOS though. the PC will see there is a PCI card connected and automatically take care of that.

True.

integrated GPUs arent expensive though. so you are unlikely to save much by getting a board without one. said:
integrated GPUs arent expensive though. so you are unlikely to save much by getting a board without one.
In fact, IGP boards tend to be less expensive because they are intended for budget builds.

Compare these two motherboards:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD models are pretty much the same.
m
l
March 6, 2010 2:05:20 PM

I would note that if you ever run into problems and suspect it might be the graphics card, having on-board video can make troubleshooting a heck of a lot easier.

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 6, 2010 7:24:24 PM

Wolfshadw said:
I would note that if you ever run into problems and suspect it might be the graphics card, having on-board video can make troubleshooting a heck of a lot easier.

-Wolf sends

a very good point.
m
l
March 6, 2010 7:46:45 PM

im with wolfshadow as well its always good to have a mobo with that makes things that much easier if you have a problem. not too mention if your like me and are waiting for the newest version of the hd 5970 or the gtx 480 and dont want to buy a vid card till you see the new breeds coming an integrated video card can hold you over for a little while =P
m
l
!