Please......spend my money:)

sean1986

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Hey guys, i hoping someone can help me out that knows the market really well right now.

I need a new PC... I already have a case, HD, keyboard, mouse , monitor. I live in Canada so i need to purchase from a canadain site.

i also need windows 7

Budget: aprox CAD $700, can someone make me a parts list?;)

PC usage: Games/surfing,generel everyday use @ 1680x1050.

Hoping to get a few years out of it so DX 11 vid card forsure. usb 3.0 would be nice too but not nessasary.

ill be playing CODMW2/cs source/wow forsure and whatever else tickles my fancy i was thinking a 5770 would be fine, what do you think?

Solution
G
Sorry for the delay sean1986.

Let's get the situation under control.

1) You're from Canada and need to purchase from a Canadian site. No problem.
2) You want a DirectX 11 Video Card. Not a problem.
3) USB 3.0 would be nice, but let's see what we can do for $700.
4) The budget is $700

The parts you already have are:

Case
Hard Drive
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor

The parts you need are:

Operating System
CD/DVD Burner
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Power Supply
Video Card

Let's get down to business.

Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit ($115)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 @...
G

One moment Sean. I'm helping someone else at the moment. I'll have a Canadian Site Purchasable Build for you in no-time :D <3 Hang on!

G

Sorry for the delay sean1986.

Let's get the situation under control.

1) You're from Canada and need to purchase from a Canadian site. No problem.
2) You want a DirectX 11 Video Card. Not a problem.
3) USB 3.0 would be nice, but let's see what we can do for $700.
4) The budget is $700

The parts you already have are:

Case
Hard Drive
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor

The parts you need are:

Operating System
CD/DVD Burner
CPU
RAM
Motherboard
Power Supply
Video Card

Let's get down to business.

Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit ($115)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 2.8 GHz ($113)

CD/DVD Burner: SONY 24X ($26)

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz ($100)

Motherboard: MSI GF615M-P33 ($60)

Power Supply: Rosewill Continuous 630W ($55)

Video Card: MSI ATI Radeon HD 5750 ($145)

Grand Total (After Shipping + Taxes): $712.70

Darn it. $12.70 over budget. I tried sean1986! Canadian prices are so fickle and odd :( Not as many deals as the USA NewEgg store.

I got you some of the best parts I could muster for under $700. I even got a DirectX11 Video Card, but probably not the best :( I would have gone with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 personally, but money does persist! Also, the Athlon II X4 @ 2.8 GHz is a very good Quad-Core, even for gaming. Should last another 7 years ~

Anything else sean1986? Something you need help with? Drop me a line :)

Be sure to select your favorite answer!

Solution

sean1986

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

Haha, very good answer my friend. im thinking about just going over budget and getting the 5770.....as for the Athlon II X4 630 ..... are you certain this cpu will be good for awhile? all i see is ppl saying that its good but the phenom in much better becuase of the L3 cache....what do you think? does pc gaming require L3 cache?

G

Hehe. You're talking to a retired StarCraft, Quake, and UT2004 person right here :)

Of course the Phenom II X series is better than the Athlon II X series due to Cache Sizes and Speeds, but it doesn't make that much of a difference really. A lot of it relies on your Video Card, your RAM, and then your CPU.

If you can afford a Phenom II X3 or an X4, go for it. I mean they only cost like an extra $30~ and you get great performance for them. A lot of charts here on TomsHardWare don't show too big-a-difference though from Phenom II to Athlon II

Now, a Phenom II X2 might run a game 1 FPS better (no difference), but when it comes to running tons of things at once (Streams, iTunes, Game, Scan, Steam, Xfire, etc), the Athlon II X4 will do better.

Final Thought: Got the money? Get a Phenom II X4 @ 3.0GHz. If not, get the Athlon II X4 @ 2.8 GHz

G

Anytime sean1986!

If you need help building a computer, follow the guide here on TomsHardWare or use these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTTlcdPqTg

Carey is a very nice guy I know through gaming and he's very straight forward. The parts you'll use will be similar. Granted, your parts might be different brand or higher quality, but the jist of building a computer is still 100% shown.

Take care :)