My computer will not boot up. I am receiving the following error.
Windows\System32\Config\System. I have tried the chkdsk/r a couple of times
and a few other things. Nothing is working. I tried to do a repair
installation but it only wants to do a complete re-install and says that
their is already a copy of windows on that partition and I get a warning.
Does anyone have some more suggestions for me to try before I have to
completely re-install windows xp and possibly lose all the data on this
computer.

Thanks for your help!!

Take a look at the following:
Corrupt Hive
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545

SystemRoot\System32\Config\SYSTEM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314874

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"mercme" <mercme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer will not boot up. I am receiving the following error.
> Windows\System32\Config\System. I have tried the chkdsk/r a couple of
> times
> and a few other things. Nothing is working. I tried to do a repair
> installation but it only wants to do a complete re-install and says that
> their is already a copy of windows on that partition and I get a warning.
> Does anyone have some more suggestions for me to try before I have to
> completely re-install windows xp and possibly lose all the data on this
> computer.
>
> Thanks for your help!!

Sounds like a corrupted System registry hive

Boot to the Recovery Console

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console (314058)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

Once in recover Console you need to perform the following steps:

At the Recovery Console command prompt:

1. CD to the system32 folder "cd system32"
2. CD to the config folder "cd config"

The prompt should now look like C:\Windows\system32\config

Type "copy system system.bak"

It should say "one file copied (You just made a backup of your original system registry hive.)

Then type "copy c:\windows\repair\system system"

You are copying the backup system registry file from the c:\windows\repair folder into the c:\windows\system32\config folder.

Overwrite the file at the prompt (you made a backup first)

Reboot normally

If that doesn't work then either the backup system hive is too old or there are other problems.

A repair install is explained below:

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP (315341)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;315341

Best Regards,
Darren Curtis, MCSE
Microsoft Enterprise Support Engineer

from your issue.

I attempted to do this...when I got to "copy system system.bak" it said it
could not find the file. Any other suggestions?

"Darren Curtis" wrote:

> Sounds like a corrupted System registry hive
>
> Boot to the Recovery Console
>
> Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console (314058)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058
>
> Once in recover Console you need to perform the following steps:
>
> At the Recovery Console command prompt:
>
> 1. CD to the system32 folder "cd system32"
> 2. CD to the config folder "cd config"
>
> The prompt should now look like C:\Windows\system32\config
>
> Type "copy system system.bak"
>
> It should say "one file copied (You just made a backup of your original system registry hive.)
>
> Then type "copy c:\windows\repair\system system"
>
> You are copying the backup system registry file from the c:\windows\repair folder into the c:\windows\system32\config folder.
>
> Overwrite the file at the prompt (you made a backup first)
>
> Reboot normally
>
> If that doesn't work then either the backup system hive is too old or there are other problems.
>
> A repair install is explained below:
>
> How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP (315341)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;315341
>
> Best Regards,
> Darren Curtis, MCSE
> Microsoft Enterprise Support Engineer

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.

jump to copy c:\windows\system32\repair\system system

and restart

JosephKK