8 pin motherboard

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
well a little more info might help us to help you "8 pin motherboard" and "how to repair power supply" dont really give us many clues

leon2006

Distinguished
Its obvious that you are not qualified to repair PSU. Not even close. I agree with LePhuronn.

For connectors that can be replaced (for modular brand) you can go to computer stores (i.e. Frys / Best Buy) and get a replacement. PSU vendor such as Antec and Corsair can send you one.

For hard-wired PSU(non-modular) you need to have soldering and cable splicing skills to replace one.

There are cable converters to switch the 12V connectors to 8 Pin(for mb power). These are available on PC stores.

From context, I am thinking your problem is a PSU with a 4 pin CPU power connector and an 8 pin motherboard.

The 4 -> 8 pin CPU power adapters are useless. They don't increase the amount of power the PSU can provide.

If you have a CPU with a TDP of 120 watts or lower, just use the 4 pin plug.

Orient the motherboard so the CPU power plug is in the upper right corner. Depending on the orientation of the motherboard socket:
if the socket is horizontal, use the right 4 pins.
if the socket is vertical, use the lower set of pins.

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

Does that mean im a bad boy for replaceing the fan that died in my psu :kaola:

*Edit* and before you say it warranty had run out (just :() and anything else other than the fan no i would NOT even attempt to think about repairing

shovenose

Distinguished
i repaired a psu once! omg it was epic. i almost blew up. there were sparks everywher, i made the house catch on fire...
IM KIDDING ABOUT THAT!!!
but yes i do sometimes replace the fans in power supplies. past that, i do not recommend you try to fix a psu.