Sign in with
Your question

Core frequency jumping around

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 9:30:59 PM

Ok, so My other cpu(970be) and MB(970a-ud3) where angering me. i had them over clocked, then all of a sudden the cpu started over heating after about 5 months. I had you set the voltage back to stock. i could still bump up the cpu frequency, but if i tried to apply more voltage, it instantly over heated.

So Thank a god for xmas. the neighbors bought me a new cpu, well gift card... so i went a picked up a fx 6300, and they were giving discounts on MB, so i got a 990fxa-ud5.

so I overclock the cpu, to 4.2ghz vcore 132.8(still tweaking all of this.)

when i run prime95 the core frequencies jump around. they go to the 4.2ghz but they all bounce around to about 3ghz. coretemp is reading that the cores are at 100%, but the frequency keeps changing?

I disabled c1e and amd C&Q, for testing all of this.

any ideas why this is happening?

More about : core frequency jumping

a b À AMD
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 9:52:13 PM

Sounds like you are overheating (pushing the OC too hard) and the CPU is throttling back.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2012 9:52:55 PM

That is AMDs answer to overclockers, how destroyed so many cpu's. The frequency is constantly adjusted to the load and temp, so it will not overheat.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 10:06:03 PM

so its nothing on my end?

...should i return this stuff and get an intel setup?
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 10:29:24 PM

Before you do that, try a less ambitious OC and see if you can stabilize the config.

Asking a question like that can set off a flame war amongst fanboys by the way.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 2:21:39 AM

heh point taken!

im gonna comb over everything again. i honestly think it will go higher, it does seem like its the cpu throttling, i guess...

also any suggestions on the prime95 side? i get a message in the worker windows, "Please read the stress.txt. choose Test\stop to end this test."

do i need to make any adjustments for 6 cores? i remember hearing people saying something about overclocking with more then 4 cores has troubles?

thanks for input!

happy new year as well!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 5:32:33 AM

ok so i did some testing.

when i disabled the 3rd core(as this cpu has 3 cores then doubles them for the 6) effectively giving me 4 cores, the frequency stayed at the now 4.5 ghz. when i re enabled the 3rd core and disabled the "one core per compute unit,"
giving me 3 cores, the frequency started jumping around again.

so for some reason having all three cores seems to either throttle the cpu, or not fully even utilize all six cores so it bounces around the extra load.

...i have been drinking, i hope this makes sense later ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 6:35:10 PM

Ok, so i was up all night testing this...

I cannot get the core speed to stay stable. whether at stock speeds or overclocked.
I have disabled all c1e c6 amdC&Q, spread spectrum. everything i could try.
I set a hard oc to 4.2ghz vcore is set to 1.344. while the system is idle all cores are at the 4.2 ghz. as soon as i run prime95, the cores go to 100%, but the cores frequency bounce around from 3ghz, to 4.2ghz. I am using cpu-z and core temp. they both report the core, and voltage flux.
is this truly inherent to the cpu's?

any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 10:47:28 PM

Windows power management, set to performance mode then under advanced make sure cpu min and max are set to 100%. Also is turbocore or whatever it is called for the fx series disabled? The cpu shouldn't throttle if the temps are decent (below 55C).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:33:05 AM

mlcaouette said:
Windows power management, set to performance mode then under advanced make sure cpu min and max are set to 100%. Also is turbocore or whatever it is called for the fx series disabled? The cpu shouldn't throttle if the temps are decent (below 55C).

yeah i tried all of that!

so I did some more testing. i ran heaven d11 bench mark, some games, various other things. the cpu never dips! for some reason it only does it on prime95. i can get stable oc, use prime95 to make sure the cores go at 100%, just not getting max speed out of it. so running the heaven bench kinda tells me if everything is running smooth.

so not sure maybe prime95 needs an updating(i have the latest.) looks like it doesnt play nice with the fx 6300 :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:40:14 AM

Can you use cpu-z and/or amd overdrive to see if you get the frequency shifting error like you do in core temp. It could just be a core temp error.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:16:04 AM

mlcaouette said:
Can you use cpu-z and/or amd overdrive to see if you get the frequency shifting error like you do in core temp. It could just be a core temp error.

ah ya beat me to it!

was just gonna say, I forgot i had noticed it shifting in core temp and cpu-z. So in fact it is the cpu! maybe by design at 100% core use it does throttle the frequency!?
that seems pretty weak! any chance it maybe just faulty cpu? think i have 15 day exchange at microcenter...

Edit: ok well found the culprit, Application performance management (APM). disabled, and all is well!

...now back to ocing it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 2:56:41 PM

Glad you figured it out, I've never seen that solution before. Where do you disable APM just for my future reference?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 9:57:41 PM

Hey, thanks for your help!

it was in the bios. newer feature on the gigabyte 990fxa-ud5. it didnt have it on the 970a-ud3.

I am happy to report its running great! I am prime95ing right now! 4.5ghz 1.360v 53c. I did turn 1 module (2cores) off. as the 6 cores to voltage to heat ratio was a bit to high for my liking. i maybe able to get to 4.8ghz! ....on air!!
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 12:50:34 AM

APM = Advanced Power Management, BTW.

Glad you worked it out. Good job!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 2:16:16 AM

COLGeek said:
APM = Advanced Power Management, BTW.

Glad you worked it out. Good job!

Doh! heh, thats the one :) 

thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 10:06:43 PM

Advanced power management makes a lot more sense.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 11:21:15 PM

ok looked again.

it is application power management.
m
l
!