Reboot and select proper boot device windows 7 build computer

chunkstee

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Just tried my first build but when I put in the windows install/boot disc, it says "reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key".

I also tried putting in the MSI driver/utilties cd to see if it was a prob with the dvd drive. But the OS system called winki started to boot/install but eventually fails and just takes me to a blinking "command prompt" screen where I can type anything I want....I think it is a linux prompt as i read that winki is linux based.

Anyways, I cant disconnect my graphics card because their is no onboard graphics,etc

I just want windows to install....any help greatly appreciated.

Also, I know my copy of windows is good....never been opened

Thanks alot

In your bios boot priority.
You have a manual right?
Tell me what board you have.
You're going to select cd/dvd as your first boot device.
Insert the Win7 disc and follow the directions for formating your hd.
Once Win 7 is finished you'll change the boot sequence in bios to your hd as first boot device.
Your done.

chunkstee

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
In bios...

I select advanced bios setting

then the only two boot related selections are boot sequence(which has cd/dvd first, then hard drive) or a quick booting feature which I have tried with it both on and off

Don't bother with quick boot that's for after you've installed the os.
So you have a Big-Bang! nice mobo.
So boot from cd/dvd first
Insert Win 7
follow the prompts
After you've successfully installed Win 7
Change the boot order to HD first.

chunkstee

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
thats my problem though...i cant get win 7 to install....i keep getting the error message

"reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key".

I cant get the installer to load

any ideas?

My guess is the MSI driver/utilties cd isn't installed correctly.
Boot Sequence
Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.
1st/ 2nd/ 3rd/ --- Boot Device
These items allow you to set the first/ second/ third boot device where BIOS attempts
to load the disk operating system.
Boot From Other Device
Setting the option to [Yes] allows the system to try to boot from other device, if the
system fails to boot from 1st boot device.
Idk what else to say cuz i've installed 2 Win 7 disc on Gigabyte boards with Award bios recently with no problems.

chunkstee

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
yeah...ive already set the bios just like that....im stumped too....When i try to install the MSI driver cd with winki OS it wont even fully complete the winki install/load. It gets to the winki logo screen then quits

That's good though cuz Winki is just a Linux based os for instant on internet.
You don't really need it if you're going to use Win 7.
If you are inserting the Win 7 disc and booting from cd/dvd device you should be fine.
The only thing i can think of that will screw that up is if the KB is PS/2.
It has to be a usb kb or Win7 won't load.
I would also clear the cmos and try to load with just one stick of memory.

SAMAURI Mindset

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Although this is a few years old, it ends without a clear answer. I've been through this and think I can help. If your hd is formatted in the wrong kind of format, it won't be able to save windows on it or install a new version on it. Chances are good this guy has a used hd hes using or formatted it incorrectly. Using an external plug to create a slave drive out of the hd on another computer and reformatting it in FAT format worked for me. I went through all the same stuff until I stumbled on this solution. Good luck

Sorry, but all wrong. That thread is horrible to read. Every advice, besides the boot priority is so wrong.

It has nothing to do with the HDD. The DVD has to boot, even without a HDD.

Follwing questions would have solved that problem:

Did you press a key to boot from DVD?
BIOS up to date?
Does the DVD boot in another PC?

advice:
use another install dvd
Install win7 Image from USB (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool)

Shafwan Shg

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Had this problem as well after updating to the latest BIOS. You have to connect your primary HDD(OS) into 6GB/S SATA 1 or 2 and SATA 3GB/S for other HDD and Optical Disk Drives.

you have the same hardware?
but anyways, please open up a new thread with your hardware specification. (power supply: brand and model, motherboard: bios version, CPU, RAM, HDD, SSD)

this thread is very old and won´t be read by many people to answer you.