Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking noob EVGA 660 SC

Last response: in Overclocking
December 31, 2012 9:46:07 PM

I really don't know much about overclocking, I understand the things but not much else.
I have an EVGA SuperClocked 660, it has a core clock speed of 1046 right out of the box and effective memory speed of 6008. However, it only runs at 324 for the gpu and 162 for the memory. The memory should be around 1500 I believe, right? I overclocked it with EVGA Precision X, and it works but the farthest that I got it (before giving up) was around 850 for the GPU, and I don't remember the memory. HWInfo said that the GPU was only running around 549 or something. Also, when I set it to run at those speeds the drop to 324 as soon as the testing is finished. Is that normal? But, what are some tips? And how should I go about clocking it to where it should be? I don't really want it overclocked, but I'd like it to at least run how it says that it can.

Best solution

a c 228 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 31, 2012 9:50:50 PM

Speeding up and down is normal, it is how the system manages output and power consumption (as well as heat generation).

Also, when measuring memory, don't get wrapped up by the marketing hype. In your case, the "effective" memory speed is 6008. That is not actual memory speed.

Detailed specs can be found here for your GPU:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-266...
December 31, 2012 10:35:55 PM

COLGeek said:
Speeding up and down is normal, it is how the system manages output and power consumption (as well as heat generation).

Also, when measuring memory, don't get wrapped up by the marketing hype. In your case, the "effective" memory speed is 6008. That is not actual memory speed.

Detailed specs can be found here for your GPU:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-266...

Okay, I wasn't sure. So should I just set it around 1000 or so and leave it?

I understand effective memory, which is why I said around 1500. Don't you divide it by 4 and that's your actual speed? Regardless, 162 is wayyy too low isn't it?
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 31, 2012 10:38:24 PM

The system will downclock when full performance isn't required. Run your monitoring app and fire up a game and then see what it reads.

BTW, I would leave at the "stock" OC it came with for now.
m
l
December 31, 2012 10:41:29 PM

COLGeek said:
The system will downclock when full performance isn't required. Run your monitoring app and fire up a game and then see what it reads.

BTW, I would leave at the "stock" OC it came with for now.

That's what I thought, wasn't sure. I've yet to run a monitoring app in a game, which sucks. The guides that I've read haven't worked. Stock "OC" being what it is advertised to run?
m
l
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 31, 2012 10:57:25 PM

Yes, the advertised "out of box" config.

Just run hwmonitor (google it) while gaming. It will capture tons of info.
m
l
December 31, 2012 11:14:05 PM

COLGeek said:
Yes, the advertised "out of box" config.

Just run hwmonitor (google it) while gaming. It will capture tons of info.

Yipee, another program to download. -_- I need to clean some of this stuff up, my desktop is a mess. I'll try it out, thanks for the help!
m
l
December 31, 2012 11:14:35 PM

Best answer selected by BloodyDream3.
m
l
!