Solved

Overclocking noob EVGA 660 SC

I really don't know much about overclocking, I understand the things but not much else.
I have an EVGA SuperClocked 660, it has a core clock speed of 1046 right out of the box and effective memory speed of 6008. However, it only runs at 324 for the gpu and 162 for the memory. The memory should be around 1500 I believe, right? I overclocked it with EVGA Precision X, and it works but the farthest that I got it (before giving up) was around 850 for the GPU, and I don't remember the memory. HWInfo said that the GPU was only running around 549 or something. Also, when I set it to run at those speeds the drop to 324 as soon as the testing is finished. Is that normal? But, what are some tips? And how should I go about clocking it to where it should be? I don't really want it overclocked, but I'd like it to at least run how it says that it can.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking noob evga
  1. Best answer
    Speeding up and down is normal, it is how the system manages output and power consumption (as well as heat generation).

    Also, when measuring memory, don't get wrapped up by the marketing hype. In your case, the "effective" memory speed is 6008. That is not actual memory speed.

    Detailed specs can be found here for your GPU:

    http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2662-KR
  2. COLGeek said:
    Speeding up and down is normal, it is how the system manages output and power consumption (as well as heat generation).

    Also, when measuring memory, don't get wrapped up by the marketing hype. In your case, the "effective" memory speed is 6008. That is not actual memory speed.

    Detailed specs can be found here for your GPU:

    http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2662-KR


    Okay, I wasn't sure. So should I just set it around 1000 or so and leave it?

    I understand effective memory, which is why I said around 1500. Don't you divide it by 4 and that's your actual speed? Regardless, 162 is wayyy too low isn't it?
  3. The system will downclock when full performance isn't required. Run your monitoring app and fire up a game and then see what it reads.

    BTW, I would leave at the "stock" OC it came with for now.
  4. COLGeek said:
    The system will downclock when full performance isn't required. Run your monitoring app and fire up a game and then see what it reads.

    BTW, I would leave at the "stock" OC it came with for now.


    That's what I thought, wasn't sure. I've yet to run a monitoring app in a game, which sucks. The guides that I've read haven't worked. Stock "OC" being what it is advertised to run?
  5. Yes, the advertised "out of box" config.

    Just run hwmonitor (google it) while gaming. It will capture tons of info.
  6. COLGeek said:
    Yes, the advertised "out of box" config.

    Just run hwmonitor (google it) while gaming. It will capture tons of info.



    Yipee, another program to download. -_- I need to clean some of this stuff up, my desktop is a mess. I'll try it out, thanks for the help!
  7. Best answer selected by BloodyDream3.
  8. I overclocked my 3770 none k to 4.5ghz with a voltage of 1.080 volts and great temps. Here are 3 links to my youtube videos upload for paste to the address bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osZhVnzcaVo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-m3tSEoonY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At4ao300xXo
  9. I overclocked my 3770 none k to 4.5ghz with a voltage of 1.080 volts and great temps. Here are 3 links to my youtube videos upload for paste to the address bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osZhVnzcaVo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-m3tSEoonY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At4ao300xXo
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking EVGA Memory