Sign in with
Your question

$1500 gaming computer. intel or amd?

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2010 12:25:22 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: March 12-14 BUDGET RANGE: $1500 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming 40%(COD and WoW), websurfing 60%

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard and Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Infonec.com Ontario, Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: NO preference

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Don't need a great looking case. It is a build for a friend so I'm looking for any suggestions

AMD Build

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3

GPU: MSI R5850-PM2D1G HD 5850

PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650W

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB

Case: Antec THREEHUNDRED

Optical Drive: LG GH22NS50 SATA

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Monitor: ASUS MS236H 23" WIDE 2MS 1920X1080

Intel Build

CPU: Intel Core i5 i5-750 / 2.66 GHz

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4

GPU: MSI R5850-PM2D1G HD 5850

PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650W

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 Tower

Optical Drive: LG GH22NS50 SATA

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Monitor: ASUS MS236H 23" WIDE 2MS 1920X1080
March 6, 2010 4:54:14 AM

5870 is the "sweet-spot" for cost/performance and is the almost unanamous choice for most serious gamers.

As a general philosophy, I would definately *START WITH THE 5870* (no compromises) *FIRST* (and foremost) ... Only then, build the rest of the system around it and make any needed cost reductions elsewhere.

*IF* you are firmly commited to full system OC, then the Core i5-750 is most definately the preferred platform and the performance difference (somewhat slight) over the AMD BLACK, would be MAGNIFIED by the max overclock of the 750, which is proven to OC very nicely.

Finally ... Be sure your mobo can SLI/xFire @ 8x8 PCIe lanes, for the intended, symetrical SLI/xFire performance.

= g'luck ! =

m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2010 5:33:07 AM

Alvin Smith said:
5870 is the "sweet-spot" for cost/performance and is the almost unanamous choice for most serious gamers.

As a general philosophy, I would definately *START WITH THE 5870* (no compromises) *FIRST* (and foremost) ... Only then, build the rest of the system around it and make any needed cost reductions elsewhere.

*IF* you are firmly commited to full system OC, then the Core i5-750 is most definately the preferred platform and the performance difference (somewhat slight) over the AMD BLACK, would be MAGNIFIED by the max overclock of the 750, which is proven to OC very nicely.

Finally ... Be sure your mobo can SLI/xFire @ 8x8 PCIe lanes, for the intended, symetrical SLI/xFire performance.

= g'luck ! =

He said no OCing or xfire ( OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No )

m
l
March 6, 2010 5:40:15 AM

Yeah I would go with the Intel, the i5-750 rocks. In fact, it's really close to my build which I built last weekend, and it's running great, OC'd cpu at 3.6ghz easily.

The 5850 will be more than enough for WoW and CoD. I think you should be fine with that. 5870 is sweet, but thats going to jump your cost around $100.

Good luck with the build man.
m
l
March 6, 2010 5:59:39 AM

Can't argue with ANY of "all that" ... My comments were only intended to put your choices in perspective and to present you with all appropriate options, so that you can weigh your priorities, against all your reasonable options. Everything said, here, is true and correct, depending on specific, personal priority and philosophy and taste and preference.

You have a very clear view of the landscape, now. Sleep on it and read over this thread, tomorrow. Your subconsious will help you get it just right.

= Al =
m
l
March 6, 2010 6:00:23 AM

Alvin Smith said:
Can't argue with ANY of "all that" ... My comments were only intended to put your choices in perspective and to present you with all appropriate options, so that you can weigh your priorities, against all your reasonable options. Everything said, here, is true and correct, depending on specific, personal priority and philosophy and taste and preference.

You have a very clear view of the landscape, now. Sleep on it and read over this thread, tomorrow. Your subconsious will help you get it just right.

= Al =

man you're weird.
m
l
March 6, 2010 6:03:17 AM

whatelsematters said:
man you're weird.

"Wired" is prolly a bit closer to the truth ...

... You "LOOK" weird, tho ... just gotta say.

= Java Java =

m
l
!