Solved

Next upgrade?

Ok so I am slowly upgrading to my new gaming rig. Below I have already upgraded the Case/PSU/RAM to what I wanted, But I can't decide what to get next. (Please no comments about the PSU being weak, I've used a couple of different PSU calcs and I dont need anything more then what I have now unless I decide I want to run a monster card or crossfire. I calculated assuming I had all the below listed parts, including my 7200rpm HD/DVD Drive AND 100% load on everything.)

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922
PSU: Antec 550W Modular
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I am still running;

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
GFX Card: EVGA 8800GT 512mb
Motherboard: Gigabyte P31-S3G

MotherBoard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD ($139.99)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor ($160.99)

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity ($309.99)

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM ($104.99)

So which should I do next? I am planning on doing the os/gfx card separaretly, but gonna have to combo the cpu/motherboard obviously.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about next upgrade
  1. Crap, forgot to add that all I use this computer for is gaming (MMO/FPS) and web surfing.
  2. So do you have a mouse and keyboard already? What about speakers? Keyboards like the Logitech G15 are excellent for MMOs as there are additional programmable macro keys that you can configure to do actions which normally take more than one key press. However, check with your MMO if that's allowed. Some MMOs ban players who use macros.

You might want to get another 120/140mm case fan for the bottom of the HAF 922. It improves airflow. Also, I suggest you get a good CPU cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is at a low, low, price of around 30$, and offers better cooling that the stock HSF cannot perform.
  3. I already have a G15 Keyboard and MX Laser Mouse. Already have logitech 2.1 speakers. Also have a Thermaltake V1 Black Widow CPU cooler. I am definitely gonna get another case fan or 2.

But I'm curious as to what I should upgrade next, thats on my list. I can't decide between the Mobo/CPU combo or the GFX Card first.
  4. GPU first. That dual core should be enough for most games.
  5. Best answer
    I'd also go for the GPU upgrade and overclock that C2Duo to keep up with it in the meantime. After that I would go with the motherboard and CPU upgrade, then the OS, and finally a PSU upgrade along with a second 5850. I'm just saying ^_^.

I was going to order the 5850 Toxic, but it was out of stock and now it jumped up in price (from 349 to 379). Probably still buy it though as I'm tired of waiting for more custom PCB solutions and the price ain't going down ^_^. As for the motherboard you may as well go with an 790FX based motherboard rather than the 790GX.
  6. Make no mistake though, the dual core will be holding it back until you do the other half.

I agree with that path though, it's pretty satisfying when you then add in the better CPU/mobo and see stuff get better with the same card.
  7. If the 5850 toxic is 379$, get a 5870 instead.
  8. Well, if you think to yourself "Heck the HIS 5870 is also 379", then you start looking at other 5870 boards, and before you know it you buy yourself a $419 5870. That's what happened to me anyway. Don't judge me, the Gigabyte board was just looking so sweet with it's custom cooler, not to mention it's also an Ultra Durable card. I am so excited just waiting for it to come in even though I know it's overkill for my CPU and resolution.
  9. Best answer selected by Sheresh.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product