PSU over volting / causing graphic issues?

G

Alright, so I have a BFG GTX 280 NVidia video card that refuses to do anything after I get past the Windows load up screen. It started as an occasional issue where I would artifact, reboot, and continue with what I was doing. After about 2 weeks of this, it refused to even load into Windows for me. I originally suspected the PSU which I swapped out, and I continue to have the same problem. The system is currently running on an older video card without issue.

I've contacted BFG about the card, and after a series of emails, they're claiming that the problem is with my PSU over volting. The 12V rail is running at 12.42 V. I was under the impression that anything within 5% of the 12 V was ok... While on the high end at 12.42 V, I can't imagine this being the issue if I remember correctly.

Basically, at this point, they're offering me no more help via email, and seem to be refusing to cover the warranty on it. Is there any legitimacy to his claims at 12.42 V? Or should I call the company and fight this?

Thank you for any responses.

Here is the readout that I got from HW Monitor, which was suggested by BFG:
SystemStats.jpg

leon2006

Distinguished
For issues like this i measure my voltages with calibrated Voltmeter such as Fluke or HP precision instruments. I run stress softwares such as prime95 & furmark(GPU).

If the gpu don't work run prime95 using generic GPU driver. The goal is to measure the actual voltages at loaded condition. Prime95 should be sufficient.

Before anything else What PSU do you have(brand and model)? Problems such as you listed are common to cheap/No Known brand PSU.

I have a BFG 280OC with Antec 850 Quatro as PSU. Another CF 4890 with HX1000 on it. Never had issues with these cards.

G

I was using a PC Power and Cooling PSU when the problems initially started. The one that's in there now that's giving off that reading is a Corsair.

Prime95 will not adequately load a GPU.

The first thing you need to do is verify the 12 volt readings with an external DMM.

The second thing to do is to use the same DMM to check another computer, then try the video card there.

The modern video cards have the same type of power regulator (though fixed) as the motherboard CPU regulator. So the 12 volt power will be converted to a lower voltage for the memory and GPU of the video card.

If I were more suspicious, I'd suspect that the company is trying to weasel out of the warranty claim.

leon2006

Distinguished

The objective is to stress the power supply using prime95(Not the GPU) with CPU running 100% that would be a considerable load for the PSU. That would be a good point the measure the actual voltage of the 12 rails. It would be interesting to know the actual 12v rail at loaded condition if it is 12.42 or something else.

G

The test that was run and posted was at idle as well as being stressed. Regardless of what state it was at, the test showed that it was always running at 12.42 V.

G

After replying to him for the 4th time with this information here, they asked for my information to set up an RMA. Thank you all for helping out with the matter!

Seems like they throw that crap out there just to weasel out of having to back up their products. My last time buying a BFG product.