Strange HDD issue? Need help ASAP.

Hello fellow TH-ers!

I've been having a strange issue with my rig... And it's irking me so I'm looking for a fix.

I have 1x500GB Western Digital Caviar Black(games and media), 1x320GB Seagate(games and system), 1x160GB Western Digital (backups). For a few months now, my rig systematically fails POST checks and S.M.A.R.T SATA detection procedures.

Either my 320GB fails to pass SATA detection or S.M.A.R.T checks, and I need to do a shutdown-start procedure a bunch of times (or fiddle with the SATA wires, but that isn't consistent because it can either work fine for a month after, or drop again the next hour).

Recently, I can't run my 320GB and my 500GB together... Until 2 months ago, I only had issues with the 320GB HDD, now my rig won't past SATA detection and/or S.M.A.R.T testing most of the times I got both the 500 and the 320 HDD's online.

Sometimes, it works for a few days. Sometimes, it won't even detect it. Both HDD's are less than 2 years old, and never hit/bumped/dropped. I need some help to solve this, as it's annoying as hell.

Is it my HDD's, the SATA cables, or the motherboard?

Cheers!
1 answer Last reply
More about strange issue asap
  1. Single drive problems most likely the drive or cable multiple drives motherboard controller. Run manufacturers utilities on the drives to check them, the utilities can be downloaded from manufacturers website!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Western Digital Storage