New Build Heat Questions and a Couple Others

APZX

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
All right so here is the skinny. I recently pretty much built a new computer. A slightly complicated story that I would rather not get into. Anyway, I'm concerned about heat with the build currently. The main reason for this being the case. I'll get more into towards the bottom of the post. So I come here asking for what everybody else thinks.

To start the system Specs are as follows:
Case: Thermaltake Lanbox Lite VF6000BWS
CPU: Intel Core i7 860 with Stock Heatsink
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1600 4GB (2x 2GB)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4890
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X
PSU: Corsair 750HX
HDD: 1x WD Caviar SE16 320GB, 1x WD Caviar Blue 320GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB

I haven't had the computer crash on me yet because something got too hot. But I'm a bit worried about heat. I know that the stock HSF for the Intel Core i7 860 is quite bleak. That is to say it seems like it can barely do its job. With that being said if I fully load the CPU with 8 threads of Orthos and cores will reach 85C which make it yellow/orange in Core Temp. That doesn't seem too healthy in my mind. Also, that isn't too long after the CPU has been running with that, maybe a minute or so. Finally, the CPU isn't OCed whatsoever.

My next concern is the GPU. This sucker gets really hot when I run FurMark. I mean hot. Currently she is reaching in the neighborhood of 90C. That to me raises some concerns. I'm not sure just how hot it should really get before I start worrying. To that note the back of my sound gets very very hot too. I cannot say how hot because I do not have Infrared Thermometer to see. So should I be concerned about that at all?

With those two things being said I have some actual questions as well. First off, I think that part of my problem is the stock cooling that comes with the case. It has a single 92mm and dual 60mm fans. I don't think is adequate for cooling what I have in the case. I've been under heavy debate on what fans to put in there exactly as well. I think that some temperature sensitive Vantecs would be a good way to go, but I'm a bit concerned with noise. I don't want this to sound like a jet engine preparing to take off. To only add to this I would put in a PCI fan, but doing that will not really let my GPU breathe properly, but it should drop the temps of my sound card just a bit. However, I can mount a 60mm fan above the expansion card area which to me seems like it gets quite toasty. So any reccomendations that are to be had for fans would be nice. I would like to note that the front 92mm fan can only be 25mm thick.

Finally I would like to know of any good short CPU coolers that are out there because underneath my PSU where my CPU lies I don't really have a whole lot of room.

I think the biggest question is should I be concerned with this when playing games? I play a wide variety of them so it is hard to really say any exact one. Some games that I play are Supreme Commander, Crysis & Crysis Warhead, Mirror's Edge, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Company of Heroes, Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2, and Dragon Age: Origins.

But even if it is "okay" I still would like to make it so things don't run as hot. I'm not really concerned with lights so much because honestly my RAM and Sound Card have enough lights to satisfy me.

Thanks in advance,

-APZX

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Your sound card should be fine. They don't have any cooling on them, as they don't get terminally hot without them.

85C is too hot for your CPU. The problem you're most likely running into is the lanbox. They're great little units, but tend to have poor airflow. I take it you have the 60s running both as exhaust?

This is a cute little 1156 cooler that should fit in your case vertically, not sure about width though.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9353/cpu-scy-26/Scythe_Big_SHURIKEN_Low_Profile_4-Heatpipe_Universal_CPU_Cooler_SCBSK-1000_Socket_775_1156_1366_478_AM2_AM2_AM3_939_940_754_.html?tl=g48c369s1037&id=ecW5BiKf

It should perform better than your stock cooler, although I can't say 100%.

I also saw you can add an additional 60mm fan to that case, which might be a good idea. The more hot air you can get out, the more cool air you can get in.

I assume you mean this Vantec?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999615&Tpk=60mm%20fan

Your GPU can handle those temps. They're surely not ideal, but not as bad as an i7 @ 85C. I like my GPU's under 80C max load, but GPU's just run hotter.

APZX

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Well it is good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that is too hot. Now, I was looking at HSF not too long ago and found one that I thought would work. Cooler Master Gemini II. How I understand it the case will hold I believe a 2U HSF. Basically it can't be too much taller than 100mm. However, the Scythe Big Shuriken seems pretty potent for such a short HSF. Plus it seems darn quiet. Which would be good.

The fans in particular that I'm looking are Vantec 60mm and a Vantec 92mm. The reason these seem so nice for me is because they're temperature sensitive. However, I get the strange feeling that they're going to be running at max speed the entire time. Just something I suspect.

I honestly like the Lanbox Lite. Granted the Airflow isn't exactly ideal, but darn does it look good and is actually very very clever in its design. Any other opinions would be nice. I don't want to jump on to hasty decision.

Jack_Attack thanks for the input.

-APZX