Okay all you geniuses..DVDROM drive won't open

bakekrukow

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Let's see if you smart people can help me with this.

I was messing around with VMWARE player installing Windows 98 off the installation disc in my DVD-Rom drive.

After the installation was complete and the OS was up and running, I went to eject the disc. I got a message along the lines of "The virtual operating system has locked the drive, click to manually override." I click, the drive won't open. I press the button, nothing opens. So back in Windows 7 I eject the disc via Windows Explorer and take the disc out, thinking all is well. I was wrong.

Even after VMWARE is closed, the button on the outside of the computer will not open my drive. If I want to open it, I have to click the "eject" button. I uninstalled VMWARE thinking it may be locking the drive still but that did nothing. I went back in time with System Restore and that did nothing. I uninstalled the DVD Drive and re-installed but that did nothing.

The funny thing is, when I click the eject button and open the drive, if I press the button on the outside of the computer it closes the drive fine. Even stranger, if I press the button to close it, before the drive closes all the way if I press the open button it works! I can play "chicken" opening and closing the drive with the button, so I know it's not a hardware problem. And the drive plays anything I put in it.

If anyone could solve this I'd be extremely grateful.

Solution
Things to try:
1) Shut down, remove the data and power cable to the drive, the boot up. Now shut down and attach the cables again.

*If #1 doesn't work, repeat but with a different SATA connection (to a different SATA chip. See the motherboard manual or just choose a different colour of connector).

2) System Restore before you installed VMWare.
Things to try:
1) Shut down, remove the data and power cable to the drive, the boot up. Now shut down and attach the cables again.

*If #1 doesn't work, repeat but with a different SATA connection (to a different SATA chip. See the motherboard manual or just choose a different colour of connector).

2) System Restore before you installed VMWare.

Solution

bakekrukow

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

Haha! That worked! Thank you so much!!