Is the GTS250 a Lousy Card?

Smolin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I just installed an nVidia GTS 250 w/ 1 GB DDR3 RAM, manufactured by EVGA, to replace my old 7900 GTX 512. I haven't tried any games on it yet, but just working on the computer, I feel like I'm getting poor refresh rates. For example, dragging a window across the desktop, it looks jumpy, like watching a movie with a low framerate. Zooming in and out in Photoshop is no longer smooth like one would expect (and like I had with my 7900 on the same machine).

My system is a pretty straightforward, out of the box deal: a Dell XPS 410 with 2 GB RAM running Windows XP Pro on a Core2 Duo (6400@2.13GHz with 2 CPUs) , and a 22" Dell widescreen LCD (2209WA) using DVI input. Dell PSU is rated at 375W (sounds low, I know, but that's idle power).

I'm sure the quality should be better with this card. Could this be a power issue? Or is the GTS250 a crappy model? Is there not enough heft on my system? Or do I simply have a glitchy card that I should seek to exchange?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The GTS 250 is essentially a rebranded 9800GTX+ but even then it should blow your 7900 out of the water. You might have a bad card, try uninstalling all your old drivers and reinstalling the latest ones fresh. If that isn't the case i'd RMA it or exchange it for another brand with your retailer, such as the XFX one.

Smolin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah, I uninstalled the old drivers (did that in Safe Mode but didn't use a 3rd party driver cleaner to do it -- just Windows Control Panel). I also took the precaution of removing that nView desktop manager thing, which I heard bad things about. No change. I guess I'll try to exchange it. You think XFX is a better make?

Smolin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Whoa. Thanks for the articles, Yuka. Really illuminating and annoying at the same time.

Now I'm thinking that the card itself is "fine" -- or at least, doing what it was designed to do: ignore or devolve 2D application performance. It seems like the GTS250 - like most newer cards - is just poorly designed for 2D applications in XP, which is what I'm running. So if I want optimal 2D performance, I ought to put my old 7900 back in; or as a second best, upgrade to Windows 7.

This is why I am still holding onto my old 3DFX cards and on my more modern rigs only run CRT monitors (85hz) which helps in 2D. I can't stand crappy 2D and 3D performance. I rather have low res than to suffer under a slide show or scroll lag.