How to Install a Second OS On a Second HDD?

Twisted4k

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hello, I have Windows 7 installed on a 750GB HDD. I have an extra hard drive with a capacity of 160GB, and I decided to install Windows XP on that one. So I restarted the PC with the disc in it, and it showed a bunch of partitions, so I picked the one with the one that had the name of the 160GB. So it installed fine, and I restarted the PC again and it didn't give me an option for what OS to choose from, it just went straight to XP on the 160GB. I was still able to read all my files and such on the HDD Windows 7 was on, though.

So I restarted again and put my Windows 7 disc at booted from that, ran the startup repair, and now I'm back with Windows 7 on the 750GB HDD. I'm pretty sure it kinda erased the XP, though, I'm inexperienced with this stuff so I'm really not sure, but how do I CORRECTLY install a second OS on a second hard drive? Thanks.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
You should install xp then windows 7. Windows 7 if i recall correctly should allow you to choose between the 2 o/s' when booting. If it doesnt or you dont want to do all that work, you can just select the drive you want through bios. For me its f8(i think) and i can choose to boot from any of my hdds or cd drive.

Twisted4k

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

When I originally had it booting to Windows XP, I went to the BIOS and selected the Windows 7 HDD to be the first drive to boot from, but it still basically just skipped it and went to the XP drive, like the Windows 7 OS was damaged or didn't exist...

Latest posts