Direct Cable Connection

mav

Hi All,

I am having a mental block!

Direct cable connection between two machines (host - W98SE, guest XP). I
have established the connection okay, and have shared the root on the host
machine. But HOW do I locate the hosts shared drive on the guest machine?

I have tried searching for other computers on the network, mapping network
drive using the host's computer name, but it does not find anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Mav

HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305621

[[A direct cable connection is a link between the input/output (I/O) ports
of two computers by using a single cable rather than a modem or other
interfacing device. In most cases, you make a direct cable connection with a
null modem cable. You can use a direct cable connection to transfer
information between the computers to exchange files, access resources, and
so on.]]
=========

How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home Edition
(PART 1)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B814981

8 parts with pictures!!
===

How to Create a Direct Cable Connection
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/networking/cablecon.asp

Cables That Are Compatible with Direct Cable Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310576

Unable to Connect Using Direct Cable Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310152

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:cng556$m3n$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
Mav <Mav@Miramar.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having a mental block!
>
> Direct cable connection between two machines (host - W98SE, guest
> XP). I have established the connection okay, and have shared the root
> on the host machine. But HOW do I locate the hosts shared drive on
> the guest machine?
>
> I have tried searching for other computers on the network, mapping
> network drive using the host's computer name, but it does not find
> anything.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Mav