Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking i5 2500k/AsRock stable settings. Help?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 1, 2013 3:05:29 AM

I'm a total noob when it comes to overclocking. I'm using an i5 2500k paired with an AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 I've tried overclocking before a had nothing but bsods. I reset everything to default since. Can anyone help me with some stable settings? I don't want to go crazy with my speeds. 4.0-4.5 would be ok with me :) 
January 2, 2013 1:42:31 AM

Read some guides on overclocking. You will need a totally new CPU heatsink if you are using the stock one. You should know that overclocking your CPU isn't going to make your computer all that much faster too. All overclocking does is increase your IPC (Instructions per Clock). Overclocking your CPU wont increase your gaming performance that much either, especially when you are already running an i5!
m
l
January 2, 2013 3:54:25 AM

Then why do people overclock? I thought gaming was one of the reasons.
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 4:07:24 AM

Colin_Laws said:
Read some guides on overclocking. You will need a totally new CPU heatsink if you are using the stock one. You should know that overclocking your CPU isn't going to make your computer all that much faster too. All overclocking does is increase your IPC (Instructions per Clock). Overclocking your CPU wont increase your gaming performance that much either, especially when you are already running an i5!

I'm using a Hyper 212+ for my cooling and yeah I've started reading some guides today. Also, like cerealbox760, I thought it did improve performance. Does it not? I mean, I know it's not going to be leaps better, but I've read it does help a bit.
m
l
January 2, 2013 4:46:15 AM

It won't be leaps better. Most games are GPU bound but a few like Starcraft 2 are CPU bound. Starcraft 2 will bring any CPU to it's knees (I've personally had 1FPS for a minute straight on it during the final battle of the minigame Desert attack(or storm I forgot I haven't played it in months).

What overclocking will do in CPU bound games is raise your Minimum FPS making the game feel smoother.
m
l
January 2, 2013 10:07:14 AM

itzsnypah said:

What overclocking will do in CPU bound games is raise your Minimum FPS making the game feel smoother.

And that's what I want. It also seems more CPU based games are coming out, so I'd rather be set for that. like to play on ultra settings for every game if I can (I'm lookin at you Metro). The newer games are starting to bog down my fps a bit so I just really want to use my components at their potential. I have 2 GTX 570s in SLI which I'd also like to overclock a little bit later. I'm more afraid to do that.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 8:44:09 PM

In reality overclocking is only part of the way of getting better FPS. As was stated before some games are simply GPU bound and won't see much if any increase in FPS with a CPU overclock. However some games are heavily CPU bound and will see a good increase with a decent overclock. When I run single GPU on Planetside 2 for example, it will spend a majority of it's time running off the CPU. The difference from 3.4Ghz to 4.4Ghz was nearly 15FPS overall just by the CPU overclock. However I throw my cards into SLi, the game hardly ever bounces from the GPU as it reaches about 10FPS higher running from them instead of straight from the CPU.

Overclocking that 2500k isn't going to bring you into a new era or anything, but if you get to 4.4Ghz or so the difference is very noticeable in many games, including Metro 2033.

Clocking the SB chip is so easy it's pathetic. Especially if you're not going for massive overclocks like 4.6Ghz+. Let me toss you down an easy way to start to get the ball rolling for you. I do however want you to make sure you know exactly what I am talking about before you even attempt it. So if you're not sure about vcore or multipliers, read some more guides.

I'd start the same way I did with my 2600k :

Fixed voltage 1.1v
Stock Multiplier 33x

Run IntelBurnTest while monitoring both temperature and stability. If IBT crashes out then you have a stability issue. If it BSODs, you have a stability issue. However for the most part at 1.1v you should make it to nearly 4Ghz if not actually hitting 4Ghz.

The 2500k/2600k doesn't have an official "voltage range" but 1.25v seems to be the normal and I refuse to let mine go above 1.3v for more than a few minutes.

Those GTX570's should be pushing frames out the wazoo for you. I'd honestly be hard set to think you'd need to overclock them at all. But that's a later subject. I do wonder however, as I'm not sure if the 570's are capable, but I believe they are both running in 8x mode on the PCI Express 2.0 lanes you have. I wonder if they are actually being limited because of it. I wouldn't imagine they'd bottleneck on PCIx2.0 but it is possible. I know that no single GPU card to date can actually become bottlenecked by the PCIx2.0@16x, but it may be possible for 2x570's to bottleneck on it.

Either way, if you were to reach 4.3Ghz, remember that's a good 30% overclock. That is quite a bit of performance gain in the ability of the CPU and can really show in a lot of different games.

I just wanted to say this to itzsnypah, not trolling or anything but... I've played thousands of games of SC2 on this system, never once have I ever dropped below 30FPS. If you're hitting 1FPS, either you have a single core CPU with an 8800GTS from `08, or there is something wrong.
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:34:11 PM

steddora said:
In reality overclocking is only part of the way of getting better FPS. As was stated before some games are simply GPU bound and won't see much if any increase in FPS with a CPU overclock. However some games are heavily CPU bound and will see a good increase with a decent overclock. When I run single GPU on Planetside 2 for example, it will spend a majority of it's time running off the CPU. The difference from 3.4Ghz to 4.4Ghz was nearly 15FPS overall just by the CPU overclock. However I throw my cards into SLi, the game hardly ever bounces from the GPU as it reaches about 10FPS higher running from them instead of straight from the CPU.

Overclocking that 2500k isn't going to bring you into a new era or anything, but if you get to 4.4Ghz or so the difference is very noticeable in many games, including Metro 2033.

Clocking the SB chip is so easy it's pathetic. Especially if you're not going for massive overclocks like 4.6Ghz+. Let me toss you down an easy way to start to get the ball rolling for you. I do however want you to make sure you know exactly what I am talking about before you even attempt it. So if you're not sure about vcore or multipliers, read some more guides.

I'd start the same way I did with my 2600k :

Fixed voltage 1.1v
Stock Multiplier 33x

Run IntelBurnTest while monitoring both temperature and stability. If IBT crashes out then you have a stability issue. If it BSODs, you have a stability issue. However for the most part at 1.1v you should make it to nearly 4Ghz if not actually hitting 4Ghz.

The 2500k/2600k doesn't have an official "voltage range" but 1.25v seems to be the normal and I refuse to let mine go above 1.3v for more than a few minutes.

Those GTX570's should be pushing frames out the wazoo for you. I'd honestly be hard set to think you'd need to overclock them at all. But that's a later subject. I do wonder however, as I'm not sure if the 570's are capable, but I believe they are both running in 8x mode on the PCI Express 2.0 lanes you have. I wonder if they are actually being limited because of it. I wouldn't imagine they'd bottleneck on PCIx2.0 but it is possible. I know that no single GPU card to date can actually become bottlenecked by the PCIx2.0@16x, but it may be possible for 2x570's to bottleneck on it.

Either way, if you were to reach 4.3Ghz, remember that's a good 30% overclock. That is quite a bit of performance gain in the ability of the CPU and can really show in a lot of different games.

I just wanted to say this to itzsnypah, not trolling or anything but... I've played thousands of games of SC2 on this system, never once have I ever dropped below 30FPS. If you're hitting 1FPS, either you have a single core CPU with an 8800GTS from `08, or there is something wrong.

Hey I really appreciate this. I'm not going to go crazy with my overclocking and I'd be totally happy overclocking to 4.4GHZ. Overclocking m 570s isn't on my priorities list. Probably something I'll do down the road, but definitely not soon. One thing struck me though in your reply and that was about my PCI lanes. Do you think my mobo is limiting the power of my GPUs in SLI?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2013 2:09:05 AM

I'm not totally sure. I know the 570 is a pretty decent card and can still hold it's own in most of today's games. Your mobo isn't the only problem, the only real PCIx3.0 you'll see is with an Ivy Bridge combo mainly with the Z77 motherboards. Though I'm not sure the 570's are even bottlenecking on PCIx2.0. I do remember reading that a PCIx1 @ 16x is about the same as a PCIx2.0 at 8x, which in your setup it is probably running both cards at 8x. The 570 made some noise here and there as if it actually broke the PCIx1.0 bandwidth barrier and was actually bottlenecked on it or not. That's what has me thinking that.

I would look into it a little, but honestly I wouldn't be too worried about it as if it was bottlenecking it wouldn't be a great margin. :) 
m
l
January 3, 2013 2:14:42 AM

steddora said:
I'm not totally sure. I know the 570 is a pretty decent card and can still hold it's own in most of today's games. Your mobo isn't the only problem, the only real PCIx3.0 you'll see is with an Ivy Bridge combo mainly with the Z77 motherboards. Though I'm not sure the 570's are even bottlenecking on PCIx2.0. I do remember reading that a PCIx1 @ 16x is about the same as a PCIx2.0 at 8x, which in your setup it is probably running both cards at 8x. The 570 made some noise here and there as if it actually broke the PCIx1.0 bandwidth barrier and was actually bottlenecked on it or not. That's what has me thinking that.

I would look into it a little, but honestly I wouldn't be too worried about it as if it was bottlenecking it wouldn't be a great margin. :) 

Ah ok. Yeah that'd be cool if you can get back to me on whatever you find out. I don't exactly have the funds right now to get a new setup, so upgrading anything will have to wait.
m
l
January 3, 2013 5:02:51 AM

steddora said:

The final battle in the Minigame Desert strike (if you manage to get that far) is around a 2k unit vs 2k unit battle. And the minigame zooms out.

I'm not talking about 1v1 lategame or even 4v4 lategame.

First result on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyunJNjbxF4
m
l
!