Sign in with
Your question

Home NEtwork Server

Last response: in Components
May 13, 2010 2:39:00 PM

I would like to utilize a Home Network Server that can stream video, music and all , but mainly be used for a localized place for storage and usage of files such as MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel,,,,) = cent5ralized backups.

I have been looking over the HP EX495 and it 'appears' to be mainly for media use, but, also can be used for data. My main question is: is the HP EX495 good enough / easy enough to access/use for data + media or is there another server that would be better suited for my purpose?

Any answers appreciated

More about : home network server

May 13, 2010 3:50:20 PM

Pretty much any computer these days can do that. Build yourself a $400 computer and it can do that. Even an AMD Sempron 2.7GHz could do that.
m
l
June 15, 2010 9:46:02 PM

scottc75074 said:
I would like to utilize a Home Network Server that can stream video, music and all , but mainly be used for a localized place for storage and usage of files such as MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel,,,,) = cent5ralized backups.

I have been looking over the HP EX495 and it 'appears' to be mainly for media use, but, also can be used for data. My main question is: is the HP EX495 good enough / easy enough to access/use for data + media or is there another server that would be better suited for my purpose?

Any answers appreciated

Yeah Enzo is about right. However, there are inherent bonuses to using the premade micro servers. Embedded OS main reason. Makes is almost impossible to lose the OS due to VIrus etc. Then there is support options. However for a good HD MEdia/file server just buy a little machine used somewhere (make sure it's 64bit) and ensure a good video card is in it and throw in XP (cheap route) or even better Ubuntu! Depending on your skill level of course.

Few notes here. File serving is the easiest and least pc intensive process for home use. If you just wanted file sharing you could just use a external HD for 50 bucks.

Media serving really is not a PC intensive task per se. You need a quality video card with proper connections to serve your viewing medium (HDMI etc) This can be done efficiently with a 50 buck viedo card and a Atom based cpu and 1 gig of ram.

For the sake of simplicity and ease of use, stick with the media servers around 300 dollers. Even I use one and I have been a network engineer for 13 years.

Good luck buddy
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2010 5:37:02 PM

Device Unknown said:
Yeah Enzo is about right. However, there are inherent bonuses to using the premade micro servers. Embedded OS main reason. Makes is almost impossible to lose the OS due to VIrus etc. Then there is support options. However for a good HD MEdia/file server just buy a little machine used somewhere (make sure it's 64bit) and ensure a good video card is in it and throw in XP (cheap route) or even better Ubuntu! Depending on your skill level of course.

Few notes here. File serving is the easiest and least pc intensive process for home use. If you just wanted file sharing you could just use a external HD for 50 bucks.

Media serving really is not a PC intensive task per se. You need a quality video card with proper connections to serve your viewing medium (HDMI etc) This can be done efficiently with a 50 buck viedo card and a Atom based cpu and 1 gig of ram.

For the sake of simplicity and ease of use, stick with the media servers around 300 dollers. Even I use one and I have been a network engineer for 13 years.

Good luck buddy

Umm....you don't need a video card to stream media. The machine receiving the data must have a good video card, not the one acting as a server.

Instead, you should be getting a decent board with Gigabit LAN, 2GB of RAM, and 7200RPM hard drives with plenty of cache (helps with multiple server requests, i.e. One person watching an HD movie and another person streaming music.) The more cache the merrier. New 2TB drives come with 64MB of Cache and can go for about $200. $1/GB at that density isn't bad. Intel Atom is alright, but honestly, get a cheap but good mATX board (GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H + Sempron 140 or Athlon 240) It will cost you about the same as an Atom/ION board and you'll get two PCI-E x16 slots, once PCI-E x1, and a PCI, but alot more rear I/O. DDR3 Support...And faster CPU will help in the long run

--If you feel like getting crazy, a RAID card like Adaptec's 5405 and maybe 3x1TB drives in RAID5 is insanely fast. That's going to cost you about $300 though. =/

--If not that, a new NIC might be helpful. (ie Intel PT series cards). Only get this if you have a RAID array. You won't be saturating a GBE connection without RAID.

The above two aren't really necessary. They are just more future proof, alot future proof. Maybe when the Full HD resolution gets bigger like 2560 x 1600. But as of now, about $400 and FreeNAS. Screw WHS. It's good but for $100, meh.

Hope this helps.
m
l
July 6, 2010 2:15:30 AM

dude...
here is my setup;
i took an OLD P4 machine useing onboard graphics (not pluged into a moniter) and 40gb of HDD (for now)
i installed XP Pro
setup a share drive
connected it to my router (ethernet)
and turned it on...
i set up the share to be accesed and modifyed by any computer on my network
for downloads i use remote desktop with a program called tightVNC.
it can stream video well to my HTPC with NO LAG
it just sets by its self in the living room (no monitor)
i know your laughing but common, do you have 40gb of video. plus i plan on adding more..

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT COSTED MY?
NOTHING AT ALL!!

My point is it doesn't take much hardware power at all
just fast drives (7200rpm) and a fast network connection
and don't go wireless!!! IT WILL EAT YOUR WIRELESS BANDWITH
m
l
October 14, 2011 1:20:19 AM

There are a whole range of cheap ways to do accomplish what the OP describes. The prepackaged mini servers are pretty cool. But you can also accomplish a lot with old hardware, as has been pointed out.

My current two servers are running on circa 2002 hardware. Dual athlons in each running on supermicro mother boards. The chips, RAM, Motherboard for each was about $175 several years ago. Putting it all together with a case, power supply, OS disk, etc. would probably bring the cost for each up to $400-$500.

This is competitive with the new mini servers.

You can see a photo of my current server at the bottom of this page:

http://www.easy-home-networking-guide.com/Home-Networki...
m
l
!