New Computer Build Advice

inigma

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hello, I am building a new gaming PC for about 1000 dollars and wanted to see if these parts are compatible and if it is a good build. Thanks in advance!
Asus P7P55D EVO Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, Core i5, 2133MHz, DDR3, sli and crossfire, RAID
Intel Core i5 750 BX80605I5750 Processor - 2.66GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield
Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler - 120mm Fan, Copper Cold Plate, Aluminum Radiator, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, AM2/AM3 Corsair PC12800 RAM - 4GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, Core i5, Dual Channel, Class 9
Sparkle SXT2201024S3-NM GeForce GT 220 Video Card - 1024MB DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA
Aspire 600W DarkSide Alum Black PSU - Blue Sleeves
Western Digital WD3200AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 3.5", 320GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer - DVD R 22x, DVD RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA
NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case - Clear Sides, Front USB, eSATA Ports Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Just first impressions ... at first glance ...

1) gpu is weak
2) H2O cooling is way overkill for a "slim-build" (smaller budget)
Also, the Core-i5-750 clocks very efficiently and effectively with a premium air cooler.
3) Research the RAM for your best OC potential .. but only after you are positively certain you have the best mobo for your budget and needs.
4) make sure you mobo has 8x8 SLI compatibility and that your PSU is between 600W and 750w (680 plus or minus 80 watts for dual SLI) ... You could prolly do very well with 500w-550W if you go with THAT card and it is the only one (ever) installed.
5) mobos that do "all that" and also have the newest USB3.0 and SATA-III connections are currently in stock.
6) Youu might ask (HERE) about "comparable" AMD builds, too, you might save enough $$$ to get a better gpu.

= just at first glance =

inigma

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Well I selected that GPU because all I really play is WOW at the moment. I just wanted a computer that I possibly grow with into more serious gaming in the future. But I thought that the gpu was sufficient enough for WOW. Correct me if I am wrong tho.

inigma

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
TY to all you guys for the info on the GPU at a closer look it is pretty bad. I am gonna swap out the cpu cooler and use that extra money for a better GPU. Other than those 2 things how is my set up.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
PSU has only 2x6pin PCIe connectors and has individually rated +12V rails ...

This PSU "looks" nice and it is powerful enough but it does not have the proper features for your likely upgrade path.

You would do much better (and years longer) with a 600W~750W silver rated PSU that has Four 6+2 or Four 8-pin PCIe (gpu) power connectors (some gpus use TWO connectors. Look for a PSU that is "SLI/Crossfire Ready" ...

... ALSO, look for a SINGLE +12V rail model, so that you pull your power from a single, undivided "pool" rather than to exceed an artificial limit on a given rail.

Here is a link for a Corsair (premium PSU) and theirs are all expensive but excellent ... Any silver rated PSU is likely to be of sufficient quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
VERY sweet !

I wish they showed pics of the included harnesses. Seems like you would want to plug them ALL in, even if not used, just so you won't lose them to some cardboard box in the back of your garage.

The implication is that cable routing would be simplified and that bad harnesses could be replaced but, without the whole industry doing this (modular) then I wonder how available replacement parts will be ?? Would be great if I could choose any length or upgrade the SLI connects to something else. Maybe even power my girlfriends toys ! (ahem ... I so wish!).

= Looks REALLY cool =

inigma

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
hahahaha, Actually thank you man. You gave some really solid advice to a novice computer builder. Glad to see u liked the new PSU. Decided on a different and cheaper cpu cooler. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4197086&Sku=T925-1287

Think it will do?

And one last thing... gotta find a decent GPU. Something Nvidia and will run WOW on ultra settings but not to expensive (if that is possible) around the 100 dollar mark give or take. If not I will spend more money for better quality.

Thanks again for all the help and time. It is helping me out a ton!

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Case, gpu RAM HDD

Four minor issues ... great, "as is" but some tweaks to consider ...

1) Case ... that case is popular but I think it might be largely plastic ...
... It'll do ya but, for the price, there ARE better options (as attractive too).

2) GPU: That card has a VGA D-sub port ... not a good idea, even if you have 3 VGA monitors ... DVI can be converted to VGA or HDMI ... "Display Port" can be converted to DVI, VGA, HDMI(video) ... Many modern devices (projectors, HDTV) have display port adapters ... VGA-D-sub cannot be anyhing else !
I DO like the amount and type of GDDR ... Great card cept for VGA.

RAM: More OC-freindly timings are available (CAS 9 doesn't clock the very best).

HDD: To take advantage of "perpendicular" streaming rates, a higher density drive would be indicated ... 650GB or more (typically) ... Spinpoints are great ... Caviar Black or Blue. ... BUT ... The drive you have is a great value and it will do just fine.

I *would* search TIGER for some slightly snappier picks, in those areas, but I am tired and this all looks pretty good.

Maybe some genius could help you out on the RAM, tho ... worth the trouble !

CASE: This case is a seriously "PRO" case and saves you some $$

HAF 922M
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4631382&CatId=32

Caviar Blue
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3839239&CatId=2459

Looks like your gpu pick is about the best they have ...

... ??? just saw this ... have no idea what gpu ports or if the mobo is "excellent, or not ...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5635775&CatId=3495