Sign in with
Your question

Need help with a budget gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2010 4:57:12 AM

Ok so here is my situation. A few months ago I started buying up components to make a pretty decent gaming rig. So far I have bought a monitor, psu, case, os.

Monitor - 23" acer.
PSU - 750w antec truepower new
Case - Antec 300 illusion, came with 4 fans, bought another 120 for the side panel.
OS - win7 pro OEM

All this ran me somewhere around $450 buying off newegg when bargains became available. My first thoughts for this rig was going to be a i7 920 build, but unfortunately money became an issue so im looking for a more modest build now. I do alot of multitasking and gaming. Some photo and video rendering mostly using fraps and WMM. I play alot of older games such as the older CnC series so the pc I have now (even though its an old P4 with an 8800gt) still plays those rather well. But im looking into getting into some of the newer titles and that is the reason for me doing this build in the first place. The monitor I got is capable of going 1900x1200 but I realize with a budget build ill scale down resolution to probably 1600 area. What I have is this:

$450 dollars more right now to add to what I already have, so im looking for best bang for buck scenario. What im not going to get immediately however is a video card, I have an extra 8800 gt laying around so im going to stick that in to get by with for a little while before I get the money together to buy something better.

What im looking for is a processor, mobo, ram, hdd, cd/dvd burner: all equaling 450 dollars.

My initial thoughts after doing a little bit of research was going with AMD to keep my upgrade options mostly available, as ill probably do some upgrading come summer when my income goes back up. so I have been thinking about the newest AMD mobo for this reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
139.99 right now, so that would leave a little over $300 for the rest.

Working with this mobo, or perhaps even other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals!

More about : budget gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2010 8:03:58 AM

Stick to single GPU solutions and a HD 5850 down the road perhaps? After market HSF if u want to start clocking a.s.a.p else stick to stock ^^

m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2010 5:21:36 PM

AMD processors and motherboards are great value solutions atm, but do not buy one if future upgradability is your primary concern. The next generation of their processors due out in about a year are going to require a new socket interface so they will lose the backward compatability that AMD has focused on for the last few years. The p55 motherboards will face a simular fate in just about a year also as some new features in the next generation of intel chips will require the socket to be upgraded.
m
l
March 6, 2010 6:00:15 PM

jimmyz41 said:
AMD processors and motherboards are great value solutions atm, but do not buy one if future upgradability is your primary concern. The next generation of their processors due out in about a year are going to require a new socket interface so they will lose the backward compatability that AMD has focused on for the last few years. The p55 motherboards will face a simular fate in just about a year also as some new features in the next generation of intel chips will require the socket to be upgraded.

I was thinking amd solely based on the thuban 6 core processor update. Those should all be compatable on the am3 mobo I selected. And thats about as far as my future upgradablility will be needed. In 2 or 3 years from now ill probably end up buying a completely different system, so im only looking to get by with decent performance for 2 or 3 years really. Thanks for your responces all ! I did like the x4 955 package for 450 exactly.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 7, 2010 1:31:58 AM

You are welcomed ^^
m
l
!