4 monitor set up

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I have an older amd dual core with a evga mother board I dont know which one.it has the pcie slots to run sli or single..i have a ati sapphire radeon xxt1900 with dual dvi out puts..I want to run a toatl of 4 monitors what is my best option...this is used for carting stocks and internet use thanks

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
^^ yes, anther card for your two additional monitor outputs, might want to check your PSU to see if you can handle the load, maybe getting rid of that "xxt1900" and getting two low end 5450s will save you from having to get a new PSU. Two 5450s would give you six outputs (3 each), so that will give you some future expansion.

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
sorry about the premature bump. I am not forum savvy yet..the mother board has no identification but the psu is a allio atx 500 w would running 2 lower quality boards free up enough power on a 500 watt psu.. thanks for the help guys and i will work on my forum eticut and my spelling

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
would i be running the 2 cards in the sli pcie slots and do they need to be hooked together or basically put in 2 new cards and turn it on. if i can find another xxt1900 should i use that if i have a large enough psu?

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
if it's a good 500W pSU, you should be good adding another monitor. YOu will not be running them "Together" in Xfire or anything, just plug the other 2 monitors into the second card and you'll be golden. Just re-arrange them in your display manager however you want them.

Pretty much any ATI card will work for you that has 2 ouputs. Really any card, but I wouldn't recommend mixing drivers (although I don't think it would be a problem)

4745454b

Titan
It would be a problem, at least if your on Vista. Vista will only allow one display driver to load so all cards need to use that one driver. This means you can't mix and match AMD with Nvidia, nor can you mix older X with newer X. You seem to be pretty sure you have 2 PCIe slots, so I guess your ok there. The problem is going to be that junk sounding PSU. You didn't list gaming as a priority so you'll be better off using two 4650s or some other low power card. That or replace the PSU.

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
ok guys i bought a ati radeon hd 5770 plug my old card the saphire xt1900 into the top pcie and the new one in to the bottom pcie plugged in the power cables to each and fired it up...the fans came on high and and that it they just run on high but the computer will not boot..i tried just the new 5770 samre problem tried the old 1900 same problem so now i am at a stand still with no computer any thoughts.....I am aslo reading that even though this new card supports 3 monitors you can only run 2 what give there...... :fou:

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
The 5000 series can support 3 moniotrs however the 3rd has to use the DisplayPort output, which if you dont have a DP monitor you will need to buy a $100 active DP to DVI/HDMI adapter. You can also use a DP to VGA active adapter that is alot cheaper but not all of them seem to work with the 5000 series.

As for your computer not starting up, Dose your motherboard have an integrated graphics chip? try plugging your monitor into that and see if it works. If not then try resting your CMOS and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults and save & exit. That seems to clear lots of my video related problems in the past.

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Guys i tried to rest the cmos both by using the jumper and by just removing the battery and waitng , nothing seems to change all i am getting is all the cooling fans including the video card fans running on high no slow down for boot up or nothing wont even bring the monitors out of sleep......please help

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
changing out you mean repalceing with new ones??? this computer worked fine before i put the new card in by doing this u think it broke something?? ill give the ram a try and hope that works thanks if you have any more suggestions please post them thanks brady

4745454b

Titan
Replace with new or borrowed ones. You need to find the broken part that is stopping your PC from booting. I still suspect its the PSU, I warned you several times that the one you have is junk. It could have handled the 5770 ok, but not the 5770 and an x1900xtx. Way to much power being used on the 12V rail.

4745454b

Titan
For running an x1900xtx and a 5770? The xtx is a VERY power hungry card. Specs call for a PSU that can output 30A on the 12V rails. (that does include CPU, etc) You'll need a bit more the 5770, another 10A should be enough. 40A? I think this puts you in the 550-650W range. My Earthwatts 500W has 34A available. Look for an Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic, etc.

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Ok your the man i bought a new 0cz 700 watt power supply and it worked
i boot up and things are running but my 1900 xt card wont disply any thing and the fan on this card is full blast it wont slow down.is there a place in the bios that his can be changed or some place else..what should i try next thanks for alkl your help so far ....

bradyboardman

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
ok i found out what mother board http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/133-K8-NF41.pdf if the link doesnt work sorry ..its a 133k8 nf41 evga what i a trying to figure out now is there a place on this board or in the bios that i need to turn on the lower pcie slot ...both cards work great when just in the upper or middle pcie slot but no go in the lowwer slot in the hardware propeties it only shows the xt1900 or the 5770 if i put it in the upper sli 1 slot....so how to turn on the sli 2 slot is the question