Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Wondering If my fan is broken...

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 1, 2013 9:50:28 AM

Yes hello I recently received a brand new ATI Radeon HD 5670 for xmas, i have a psu of 300W the gpu recommends 400 at least..now I have the case open as the computer is on, there is no dust whatsoever near or on the fan, i have an outside fan pointing directly on it and its steadying at 56C, w/o the fan it reaches over 90C. I have checked if the fan cord that goes into the gpu is plugged in correctly i have taken it out and placed it back in. Is there a time when the fan is supposed to be on? all the other fans are on except the one on the GPU itself. Even at 90C it isnt on, I at first didnt know what was causing the computer to shut down but after realizing it was overheating I started checking into things. Im getting a new PSU this week of 500W but the base problem would be How do i know my fan isnt working? Im not much of a computer wiz...but shouldnt the fan be on before 90C? if so...this means i have a brand new gpu with a broken fan :( 

More about : wondering fan broken

Best solution

Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 9:56:31 AM

the fan is suppose to be on when you start the computer.

i think your gpu has a bad fan problem. :( 
Share
January 1, 2013 9:57:43 AM

Anonymous said:
the fan is suppose to be on when you start the computer.

i think your gpu has a bad fan problem. :( 



ok, i just read on my gpu its not a recommended 400W..it requires a minimum 400W...does this change anything?
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 10:04:41 AM

Chris3playp said:
ok, i just read on my gpu its not a recommended 400W..it requires a minimum 400W...does this change anything?

it could. they say 400 watts to make sure its enough for a power hungry system. but the card doesn't need more than 55 watts.

if the PSU wasn't enough you won't be able to use the card at all.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:06:07 AM

well i used it perfectly fine for about 4 days, problem was it was overheating and i didnt realize it. if and when i get the 500w psu do you believe the fan wil in fact work?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 10:12:52 AM

Chris3playp said:
well i used it perfectly fine for about 4 days, problem was it was overheating and i didnt realize it. if and when i get the 500w psu do you believe the fan wil in fact work?

no i don't. if the PSU was the problem you wouldn't be able to use the card.

try using MSI afterburner you can try to use that to see if the fan turns on.

there could be a few things wrong; the BIOS for the card isn't right and the fan setting for it is bad, the fan itself is bad and needs replaced or the card is not giving the fan power to run. that will mean replacing the card.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:16:23 AM

Anonymous said:
no i don't. if the PSU was the problem you wouldn't be able to use the card.

try using MSI afterburner you can try to use that to see if the fan turns on.

there could be a few things wrong; the BIOS for the card isn't right and the fan setting for it is bad, the fan itself is bad and needs replaced or the card is not giving the fan power to run. that will mean replacing the card.


i tried msi afterburner, the only thing it did was turn up the speed of one of my other fans, i have two one ont he back and on the motherboard, im unsure which it turned up, but it wasnt the cards fan

im hoping that if it does require 400w to power than the new psu will power the fan as well..ima head back to bed for now will check posts in morning thnx for the help
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 10:19:26 AM

Chris3playp said:
i tried msi afterburner, the only thing it did was turn up the speed of one of my other fans, i have two one ont he back and on the motherboard, im unsure which it turned up, but it wasnt the cards fan

im hoping that if it does require 400w to power than the new psu will power the fan as well..ima head back to bed for now will check posts in morning thnx for the help

after burner would ONLY use the gpu fans, not the motherboards.

i have to go to bed too. hope someone else gives help.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 4:23:50 AM

Best answer selected by Chris3playp.
m
0
l
!