jaboon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have this motherboard, GA-790XTA-UD4 . It has a firewire port on the back. Even with the firewire port connecting directly to the motherboard I still need a capture card to transfer the video to the PC right? I'm trying to convert analog tapes to digital video.

Thanks!

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
First i'm not sure this topic goes under motherboards lol :lol:

Ok so are you are trying to use your camcorder for this or what exactly?
If you are then you might be able to just plug in the cam to the firewire (ie. the vhs player into the cam > cam to the pc) but you would still need some software so it can receive and convert the signal (analog > digital )

Some video capture cards can support your typical rca inputs for video.

jaboon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for the reply Gekko. I apologize if this is the wrong thread.

I'm using a Sony Handycam to transfer old videos on tape to my hardrive. Here's a pic of what I'm trying to do.

DSC01718-1.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

Basically, I just want to convert my 8mm tapes to digital. I have Adobe Premier as my video software.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I don't know where this thread would go :lol: so don't worry about it x)

[strike]And sorry mate, but i don't see no pik o-o?[/strike] NVM! :lol: it came up after i posted x)

Well i haven't done it myself - but from what i've read and heard, if you got a cam and firewire with the video software - it should work. The cam will transfer the video to the pc: all you need is the software to be able to decode the signal and then convert it to digital so it comes out as a video file on your end and not a raw file.

I might be off somewhere so feel free to keep asking :)

jaboon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I believe you are right Gekko. I've downloaded three different capture software products and all of them are telling me that they cannot find any devices connected to the firewire port. So, not sure why the computer isn't recognizing that my camcorder is connected to it.

Also, the firewire is 4-pin to 4-pin.