Games freeze with squares all over the screen

Coxy15incher

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi all, well im new here and i wanted to ask if anyones got the same problem as me, it dosent exactly happen on any specific game but it happens on several games that i have been playing recently some old titles and some new titles, and ive searched and searched and cant seem to find any solutions for my problem so i decided to post a thread and to see if anyone can give me any support in this mater.

To describe the problem its as if my graphics freeze yet my sound keeps running, this isnt just a normal game freeze, when it does freeze the display scrambles the image into small squares all over the screen like bath tiles, i try ctrl+alt+del but nothing works, i try the windows buttom nothing works etc etc so the only way around this is by manualy restarting my system which is a bit of a mother . I can manage to get about 30-80mins of gameplay before this problem occurs, so it might possible be that the graphics card could be over heating but i have no idea.

Several games which this problem has occured on:
Empire Total War
Star Wars the forced unleashed
Fallout 3
GTA San andreas
The Saboteur
the list goes on

It dosent seem to be caused by the cpu as ive got an alarm which kicks in if it goes over a certain temp, memory is fine, i think it might be a damaged graphics card, drivers are all updated. As i said it only seems to happen for a select few, games that require high system specs have worked fine for hours with out no problems.

My system
Windows XP Pro
Radeon HD4800 512mb
Intel core DUO 2.33mhz
3gig of Memory DDR2 600gig Hard drive

All my specs meet the minimum of system specs required to run these games yet they are still frezzing and its still pissing me off its been like this for months, think i might just buy a new graphics card if all else fails.

Any suggestions would be apreciated, thanks.

zomb699

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

did you fix your errors?? because i get the same squared glitch freeze with every game i play, and sometimes even in windows. i have a brand new graphics card (ati6970) and mem test reports no errors. i reinstalled windows with only latest drivers but its still happening

aquilalore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Did you fix yours ? Since there are no replys from previous writer..
I have the same card as you 6970 and no errors to RAM. The only thing besides that are that my card only gives me 60Hz on my desktop, instead of the 120 i have had before all this started.

xxxbr1ghtst4r

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
same here.. just thatcmy problem has gone soo far that as soon as i launch in windowsws desktop.. boom.. freeze and bunch of ble squares... i asked a couple of ppl that know more than me and they all said its my graphics card.. its memory is fryed and so it doesnt work.

anyways.. i just ordered a new one. nvidia gtx 570 ti
cant w8 to get it.

aquilalore

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Yes. I got a new card from my shop.
The thing is: they had to send the card to manufactur to verify error because they and their tests didnt find anything wrong with the card at first.

xxxbr1ghtst4r

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

lol. bad luck. well at least u got new working one. have fun with gaming. :)