Higher End Games crash when overclocking CPU & GPU

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Hey guys,

I've been having some very confusing and disappointing issues with overclocking my CPU and GPU using CCC. First off, when I attempt to OC my gpu and boot any intensive application I immediately get a driver failure and game/program crash. The only solution I've found thus far is to simply choose not to OC GPU because I can't even boot programs. I've been watching my temps, all awesome, 30-40c on mobo, GPU, and CPU, full load is around 35-45c at worst.
Secondly, when OC'ing my cpu from 3.4ghz to about 3.9ghz it is able to run WoW and lower end games usuallu without a crash, although the second I boot up ME3, Farcry 3, GTA4, or any higher end game a few minutes in I run into crashes where all of my prgrams become unresponsive and the only solution is to reboot... Please guys, I cannot figure out my problem, I've already replaced my psu which didnt make a difference, I cant find anything anywhere on this and I'm losing hope! Please Tom's Hardware crew, help me out if you can! (also as a sidenote, last night I ran Farcry 3 and GTA4 w/o OC'ing anything... NO crashes)

Thanks for all your time, Chris.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II BE 965 (OC'd to 3.9ghz)
Gigabyte 780g 78LMT-S2P Mobo
8GB Kingston Hyper X Blu Ram ddr3 (2x4gb)
XFX 7750 800mhz ddr5
ThermalTake 600w TR2 psu

Solution

Regarding the GPU try creeping up instead of jumping from 800mhz to 900mhz, you may be able to run 825mhz ~ 875mhz without a problem.

AMDs stock heat sink...
First of all, no graphics card is guaranteed overclockable, some may very well be close to their limits when they left the factory.

If yours is overclockable maybe you're using the wrong utility to overclock it, Catalyst Control Center was originally more convenient to ATI than the users overclock wants.

Does XFX have a overclock utility for your GPU?

Your 965BE crashing is probably because your overclock is not stable in the first place and you are not using enough Vcore to stabilize the higher multiplier.

Did you use the Black Edition overclock guide, stickied above to reach the 3.9ghz, and run it's stabilization suggested testing?

3.9ghz is a definitely a doable overclock for the 965BE so if you're feeding it enough power you should be stable but your temperatures kinda suggest you're not, unless you have some really good cooling.

So next question is how are you cooling the CPU?

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
XFX doesn't have an overclock utility, I looked everywhere, best they have is CCC, I only adjusted from 800mhz to 900mhz, but like you said, maybe the card is it at limit, I just wanted to see if I could squeeze more frames out of it. I'm going to follow the Black Edition stickied guide now and I'll get back to you. Also, I'm using AMD's stock heatsink because I was told that AMD highly recommends only using their heatsink, even for overclocking, and 7 high power case fans, my running temps have always been good, also Arctic Silver 5 on the cpu.

Thanks for the response btw

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Well I read through your sticky, as a preliminary I figured I'd sress test with Prime95 before overclocking so I turned off all OC settings in CCC, and ran Prime for 20min, my temps starting going up and nearing 60c range, so like you said, I think before I follow your sticky and put my system at risk I'm going to ge ahead and get some better cpu cooling because if I was already reaching almost 60c of course I will once I up voltage.
Probably my best bet right? Also, anyone have any recommendations for a semi affordable but reliable cooling system for my cpu? Thanks again!

Regarding the GPU try creeping up instead of jumping from 800mhz to 900mhz, you may be able to run 825mhz ~ 875mhz without a problem.

AMDs stock heat sink sucks for overclocking!

If you can afford it, consider moving to this, it runs circles around the AMD stock heat sink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Solution

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Oh wow thats not expensive at all either, thanks for all the help Ryan, I just ordered that coolermaster cpu cooler, once I get it in I'll follow your sticky. With luck I wont be back here with problems! haha

You'll be amazed at the cooling performance difference!

If you have any problems or questions feel free to PM me.

Happy New Year!

Ryan