I think I just fried PSU on a new built..

fierce

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Ive been building a computer for a friend for the last 5 hours and finally got it set up and running.

I had all the connectors in the right spots and the computer woudl turn on.. the only thing is the top case fan would not work, so I was messing around with the 4pin connector.

I have a antec 500w psu (earthwatts) and theres a cable that has 2x 4pin molar for fans and then at the end a very small 4 pin.

I saw that there was "sysfan2" on the mobo that was unused and thought I could use the small 4 pin on this (although 3 pin, I had a computer before with a setup like this and it worked, so I assumed it was worth a try),

When I plugged in the 4pin on the 3pin fan there was a little "flash" of light and then the computer went dead. No startup. No sign of life.

A little dissapointed, I was celebrating getting it to work after troubleshooting for 2 or so hours and then one little move and bam.

So is that a fried PSU? Or Mobo? Or did other things fry too? What steps should I take. Return the psu? Install a new PSU and try that? What are your suggestions.

Thanks guys.
-Ryan

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
That sounds like for some reason you tried to plug the floppy power plug into a fan power plug on a motherboard (no idea why) so of course bad things happened.

Could be both the motherboard and the power supply that got fried. Possibly more, possibly less.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Just tell him "whoops", he'll completely understand. :eek:

Try pulling power to the board, and removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds, then reinserting it and restore power to the board. Might work....

fierce

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006

thanks for some practical advice
yeah, i did a newbie mistake. its actually a clients computer. im getting paid $1000 to do this, and $780 of it is in parts, so i get $220 service.

im hoping i didnt fry too much, or that its easily fixable
so far when i get home later tonight my process will be

1-remove and reinsert CMOS and see if that works
2-Remove PSU and insert my 600w psu from my main comp and see if that works *yay if so bc then mobo is still good*
3-Probably re-order the mobo and psu from newegg (there goes $150) and wait for new parts..

or what else should i do. any idea about returning parts like these. should i say DOA or something (unethical...) but what would you do in my situation?