Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocking XFX HD 7850

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 1, 2013 2:14:17 PM

Hi,

I have a some questions regarding overclocking.

I have recently purchased a hd 7850 and I am looking to over clock it to get extra fps on skyrim and crysis 2. The card I have is here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7850-c...

I am using an Asrock z77 Extreme 4 mobo woth an intel i5 3570k.

My questions are:

1. Will my gpu OC well on its stock cooler?
2. Will it be worth overclocking?
3. Will the life of the GPU be shortened?
4. What will the safe max temp be?
(I ran Furmark with gpu @ stock speed on 1920 x 1080 with 4X MSAA and maxed a gpu temp of 69C)
5. Should I use bios or Software?
6.What should I use to test stability?
7. Can you point me to a good tutorial?

Sorry for all the questions, Never OC'd b4

Thanks


More about : overclocking xfx 7850

January 2, 2013 2:45:29 AM

I'm not quite sure how to like track the thread, so I'm posting this reply so the forum will do it automatically for me. I'm literally in your exact situation though. Interested to see the answers you get. I've got my card up at 985 core/1400 memory and it's still only running around 55 celsius under load. I'm not sure if I should keep going, if there's some other component of this I should be looking at or if I'm even missing anything about it.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 3:49:08 AM

chain220 said:
I'm not quite sure how to like track the thread, so I'm posting this reply so the forum will do it automatically for me. I'm literally in your exact situation though. Interested to see the answers you get. I've got my card up at 985 core/1400 memory and it's still only running around 55 celsius under load. I'm not sure if I should keep going, if there's some other component of this I should be looking at or if I'm even missing anything about it.


To track a thread, click on the envelope button above the "Add a Reply" button.

Anyways moving on, I want to tell you that Skyrim pretty much runs like crap, only utilising two CPU cores out of your 4. It has terrible frame rates for the reason that the GPU basically never reaches 100% usage -- I myself have a 7850 and I get around 66%-80% GPU usage. That is why this game is known as being very CPU based.

1. The XFX core edition fan, while it looks a little bit different to a reference 7850 blower fan, is pretty much the same thing, except it blows air everywhere else. Its basically a reference cooler with non reference disadvantages.

2. Its definitely worth overclocking, just be mindful that you don't excessively increase the voltage. It increases performance quite a bit if you manage to get to the 1.2 GHZ mark.

3. While it does reduce the lifespan, its common knowledge that the GPU would probably be useless for gaming by the time it does die -- you'll most likely replace it with a newer one before you have to worry about it.

4. On some other 7850 overclocking thread with 40+ pages, they said that you wouldn't want a 7850 going past 90 degrees -- while GPU's can go up to 105 ish degrees celcius, its not good for their life. Keep it under 90 and your safe. Just remember Furmark tests GPU FAR past what they would normally do in games, that is why its called a stress test. Also I've noted turning on MSAA greatly reduces temperatures, it happened to me on MSI Kombustor.

5. Use software, MSI Afterburner is the most popular, however for my 7850 it doesn't allow me to change voltages, because it depends on the card you have. I use GPU Tweak, and although I hate it, its the only software that allows me to change the voltage.

6. I use OCCT, unlike other stress testers it allows you to check for errors, so it'll pick up any mishaps that you might not notice.

7. I have no idea really where to find one.

No problem with the questions, just make sure you know the dangers and not to go too overboard with overclocks when it comes to dangerous voltages.
Related resources
January 2, 2013 4:03:44 AM

I thought the envelope might've been it, but I was convinced it was part of the ad next to it.

I did a bit of google'ing and have been benchmarking and overclocking my card using Trixx and Heaven as well as 3DMark11. I've gotten a pretty comfortable clock setting of 1100 MHz core and 1400 MHz memory. My temperature still stays well under 90. I'd be scared to get it up that high. I think I've got the concept of overclocking under control now though.

My only problem - does this card have a voltage control through software available? Everything I've used has it basically locked. The only bad thing about that is I'm limited to a 1.1 GHz OC, which isn't too big of a deal. I'm not sure I could get much higher anyway.
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 8:26:06 AM

chain220 said:
I thought the envelope might've been it, but I was convinced it was part of the ad next to it.

I did a bit of google'ing and have been benchmarking and overclocking my card using Trixx and Heaven as well as 3DMark11. I've gotten a pretty comfortable clock setting of 1100 MHz core and 1400 MHz memory. My temperature still stays well under 90. I'd be scared to get it up that high. I think I've got the concept of overclocking under control now though.

My only problem - does this card have a voltage control through software available? Everything I've used has it basically locked. The only bad thing about that is I'm limited to a 1.1 GHz OC, which isn't too big of a deal. I'm not sure I could get much higher anyway.



as JJ1217 said, a lot of programs do not allow voltage adjustment of the 7850, however asus GPU tweak does allow these changes
January 8, 2013 6:28:39 PM

I'm not sure if it's just because I have an XFX card or what, but even Asus's GPU Tweak won't even allow voltage adjustment for me.
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 10:07:31 PM

i have a powercolor card and asus GPU tweak allows voltage adjustment up to 1.225 volts for my card... it is possible that the 1GB cards do not allow voltage adjustment
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 10:19:49 PM

Yeah I have the same of up to 1.225 volts.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 11:24:30 PM

Oh, if you haven't changed any settings, this is what you are meant to do.

1. Open GPU tweak, click on settings
2. Click on Tuning,
3. Tick GPU voltage,
4. Click on Tune settings under tuning, and click on Overclocking range enhancement.
January 8, 2013 11:27:50 PM

Right. That's what I was told to do originally. None of those settings are even listed.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 11:32:48 PM

Oh sorry I think I screwed up a bit, I'll edit my post, I forgot a step
January 8, 2013 11:40:29 PM

Yeah, I still don't see GPU Voltage. I have GPU Clock, Memory Clock, Fan 1, and Power Target. I feel as though Power Target would be it, thinking about it now.. I've got version 2.2.9.9
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2013 11:57:24 PM

power target is not voltage, it is a precaution to limit maximum power draw, 120 allows for 20% more power draw to prevent throttling, while 100 allows no extra power draw (150w on a 2gb model, not sure about the 1)
January 9, 2013 12:19:11 AM

Yeah. That makes more sense. Though, that still leaves me at a loss for the voltage.
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 2:29:59 AM

your card probably doesnt allow voltage adjustment
January 9, 2013 2:39:35 AM

That was the only conclusion I could come to. It's not really a huge deal, as I probably wouldn't see much of a performance increase anyway since my CPU is a G860.
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2013 7:08:36 AM

chain220 said:
That was the only conclusion I could come to. It's not really a huge deal, as I probably wouldn't see much of a performance increase anyway since my CPU is a G860.


that cpu would probably bottleneck a 7850 at stock...
January 9, 2013 6:24:54 PM

Yeah, you're right. I was mostly trying to OC for the experience and knowledge as I'll probably end up with a system in the future which would be better off OC'd.
January 14, 2013 8:30:23 AM

if your card is voltage locked, you can always look around for a compatible 7850 BIOS that allows voltage tweaking, and flash it to your card. The thing is, if your card doesn't have a dual BIOS switch, that's obviously really risky and ill-advised. But if you do have a dual BIOS, there's hardly any risk at all and it's worth a shot. Voltage locks are sometimes simply in the BIOS, it's rare to see a GPU that has voltage limitation built into the hardward

As for temperatures, I would never go above 90. For daily use, I'd stay under 85. Just to prolong the life of the card and avoid degradation.
2 minutes ago

i have xfx HD 7850 1GB ... i test it stable at 1050/1300 at 1.225V used MSI afterburner, Asus GPU Tweak and Trixx all of them alowed me to tweak voltages ... i dunno wgy your's doesn't ...

old post ?? any way i don't see any finall conclussions ...
!