Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II 965 running at only 800Mhz!!!

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2010 7:18:48 AM

Hello,

I have the Phenom II 965 C3 3.4GHz and the Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 v1.0 motherboard. When looking at CPU-Z it shows it's only running at 800MHz and when I run Prime95 to put load on the CPU it stays at 800MHz. The bios is version F6. I have read about turning cool'n'quiet off but I cannot find it in the bios.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
March 6, 2010 9:06:00 AM

I have found Coon'n'Quiet in the bios and turned it off - still no change?
a b V Motherboard
March 6, 2010 12:44:22 PM

It's a feature...!
Related resources
March 6, 2010 1:42:47 PM

marcellis22 said:
It's a feature...!

lol, good one :lol: 

Anyway try flashing the BIOS to the latest F7G, see if that does it.

If it doesn't work then you'll have to configure it manually by going into the BIOS and adjust the multiplier which is at x4 I guess. Set it at x17 and leave everything else on auto. Let me know if it works.

Also, can you post your CPU-Z validation? So we could check it out, tx.
March 6, 2010 1:48:59 PM

yannickhk said:
lol, good one :lol: 

Anyway try flashing the BIOS to the latest F7G, see if that does it.

If it doesn't work then you'll have to configure it manually by going into the BIOS and adjust the multiplier which is at x4 I guess. Set it at x17 and leave everything else on auto. Let me know if it works.

Also, can you post your CPU-Z validation? So we could check it out, tx.

It is a feature. Cool n Quiet downclocks CPU's to x4 when it isnt being used to save energy. Almost all new AMD MOBOS come with this feature, if not all.
March 6, 2010 1:57:43 PM

Truhls said:
It is a feature. Cool n Quiet downclocks CPU's to x4 when it isnt being used to save energy. Almost all new AMD MOBOS come with this feature, if not all.

Really? Dam, didn't know that! anyway, he said that his CPU sticks at 800Mhz even while stressing it with prime95 .... odd, isn't it?

Side note: I disabled cool n' quiet immediately after installing windows, don't know how it works ....
March 6, 2010 2:14:55 PM

yannickhk said:
Really? Dam, didn't know that! anyway, he said that his CPU sticks at 800Mhz even while stressing it with prime95 .... odd, isn't it?

Side note: I disabled cool n' quiet immediately after installing windows, don't know how it works ....

Yes it is odd P95 doesnt bring it back up when being stressed, but it does happen.
March 6, 2010 3:02:46 PM

I have tried the F7G bios and changed the multiplier to x17 and still no luck! :( 
March 6, 2010 3:03:50 PM

rhino89 said:
Here is the CPU-Z Validation:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1059888

Thanks to those who are helping!
Is it worth trying the F7G bios?

No, I don't think that flashing the BIOS would help. You need to get into the BIOS and set the multiplier to X17. I don't know your BIOS but it might look like mine. If it does, you will have the option to tweak the system. It is very easy, change the setting from auto to manual and just select x17 to have your CPU at stock settings.

You might also have an option in BIOS for 'load fail-safe'. You can also try that. Don't change anything else. Let us know if that worked
March 6, 2010 3:05:29 PM

rhino89 said:
I have tried the F7G bios and changed the multiplier to x17 and still no luck! :( 

Ok, that is just not possible. Validate with CPU-Z again please. With the multiplier set at X17.

Don't forget to save the changes before leaving the BIOS
March 6, 2010 3:47:43 PM

Will try the load fail safe soon - I'm installing some programs so can't shut off just now. I upload the new CPU-Z stats aswell then.
March 6, 2010 4:11:42 PM

Wow, yannickhk, just curious what type of internet you have because I run the same speed test and get over 13 Mb/s and just over 1 on the upload ... ?!?

Just curious.
March 6, 2010 4:39:34 PM

ericmlaing said:
Wow, yannickhk, just curious what type of internet you have because I run the same speed test and get over 13 Mb/s and just over 1 on the upload ... ?!?

Just curious.

Crappiest ever ....China and their God dam firewalls. They're all over the place ....
March 6, 2010 5:37:36 PM

Dude, its cool n quiet find it in your bios. it keeps gettign changed to x4. Default also has it enabled.
March 6, 2010 5:47:47 PM

Truhls said:
Dude, its cool n quiet find it in your bios. it keeps gettign changed to x4. Default also has it enabled.

Quote:
Rhino89: I have found Coon'n'Quiet in the bios and turned it off - still no change?

Already done that!

March 6, 2010 6:34:40 PM

Change your power settings to maximum. Create a new power manger, call it what ever you want. Then set it to maximum.
March 6, 2010 7:37:26 PM

Truhls said:
Change your power settings to maximum. Create a new power manger, call it what ever you want. Then set it to maximum.

I have done that, and like before, no change.
March 6, 2010 7:48:26 PM

No in the BIOS, in windows.
March 6, 2010 8:30:44 PM

Truhls said:
No in the BIOS, in windows.

Yes I did that in windows.
March 7, 2010 12:09:40 AM

Ok, let's try a different approach.

Please download this software: AMD overdrive. It can be found here: http://download.amd.com/Desktop/AOD_31_Setup_English.ex...

Once you have it, try adjusting the multiplier from there. It is very easy to use.

Let me know how it works out.

By the way, do you have an older CPU lying around? In case we have to manually clear the CMOS?
March 7, 2010 7:17:27 AM

yannickhk said:
Ok, let's try a different approach.

Please download this software: AMD overdrive. It can be found here: http://download.amd.com/Desktop/AOD_31_Setup_English.ex...

Once you have it, try adjusting the multiplier from there. It is very easy to use.

By the way, do you have an older CPU lying around? In case we have to manually clear the CMOS?

I cannot use AMD OverDrive: "AMD Overdrive cannot detect AMD 7-series chipset on this computer"
I have an nVidia chipset.
March 7, 2010 7:39:10 AM

It's stepping way down 'cause it's running way too hot ... ? ?

Two questions ...

1) does it SEEM like it is really running that slow (could the SW report be bogus) ?

2) Is it a new build and has it ever run "fast" (bad application of thermal stuff or cooler not properly installed) ??

March 7, 2010 9:17:47 AM

Here is a screenshot of P95, CPU-Z, Lavasys and Core Temp.
Hopefully it helps, as you can see on P95 there was a failure. This doesn't always occur on the same core.
Any ideas?

March 7, 2010 9:20:48 AM

Alvin Smith said:
It's stepping way down 'cause it's running way too hot ... ? ?

Two questions ...

1) does it SEEM like it is really running that slow (could the SW report be bogus) ?

2) Is it a new build and has it ever run "fast" (bad application of thermal stuff or cooler not properly installed) ??

From the post above you can see its running at 37 -idle 39- stressed. To me it seems fine - but I'm no expert.
Could it be a hardware fault?
Also - the CPU voltage is 1.072v - is this too low?

Also, this is a new build and so it has never run "fast".

Thanks
March 7, 2010 12:05:19 PM

rhino89 said:
From the post above you can see its running at 37 -idle 39- stressed. To me it seems fine - but I'm no expert.
Could it be a hardware fault?
Also - the CPU voltage is 1.072v - is this too low?

Also, this is a new build and so it has never run "fast".

Thanks

The voltage should be at 1.375v I think. Anyway, try downloading EasyTune 6 http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Utility_...

it is the first one on the list. Maybe we can set the multiplier at x17 with this tool.

March 7, 2010 12:20:06 PM

Um a core fails and you dont think there is a problem? The whole point of that test is to see if a core fails, if it does it means one of your cores is bad. You probably need to RMA the CPU. Also as to what yannick said, try settings the CPU VID to 1.3-1.35. Maybe itsn ot getting enough juice.
March 7, 2010 12:29:46 PM

Truhls said:
Um a core fails and you dont think there is a problem? The whole point of that test is to see if a core fails, if it does it means one of your cores is bad. You probably need to RMA the CPU. Also as to what yannick said, try settings the CPU VID to 1.3-1.35. Maybe itsn ot getting enough juice.

Why do you think that one core is failing?

Edit: wow, yeah. I missed that. Core 1 isn't working. Anyway you should try Easytune anyway just to be sure.

Also, try removing the CPU from the MB and reinsert it.
March 7, 2010 1:08:05 PM

yannickhk said:

Edit: wow, yeah. I missed that. Core 1 isn't working. Anyway you should try Easytune anyway just to be sure.

I managed to install Easytune 6 and here is what I get:

As you can see the multiplier is set to x17, however, when tested it only reaches x4. Also the voltage is set above 1.3v, but on both CPU-Z and easytune it only uses 1.072v.

If I were to reinsert the CPU would I need to reapply thermal grease? When I built the system on Friday (2 days ago) the grease was already on the Heatsink+Fan assembly. Or would the grease still be loose and not set?

:hello:  Thanks again to those who are helping - I REALLY appreciate it! :) 

March 7, 2010 1:09:47 PM

yannickhk said:

Its not always core 0 which it happens to - if I run it again a different core will fail.

I think something is wrong with the motherboard or CPU - I have emailed both Gigabyte and AMD - hope I even get a response. :??: 
March 7, 2010 1:37:11 PM

honestly it sounds like a faulty CPU, i would try to RMA it. Everything i can find on google about this, was always solved by disabling cool n quiet, upping the voltage, or setting the multiplier right. So i think you need to RMA it.
March 7, 2010 1:59:51 PM

I contacted my CPU supplier and was told to try and change the multiplier and then see what the effect was on the Windows 7 system properties. Here is the outcome:

When I change the multiplier the Speed changes. Does this figure report the Maximum or Current speed. ie. does it work the number out itself (multiplying the FSB and Multiplier)?

Will now try the RMA.

Thanks to all those who are trying to help. :) 
March 7, 2010 2:19:53 PM

zzznow, i don't get it. When you changed the multiplier did it work or not?
March 7, 2010 2:22:20 PM

yannickhk said:
zzznow, i don't get it. When you changed the multiplier did it work or not?

When I change the multiplier there is no change to the figures displayed in CPU-Z (they stay at 800MHz), however the figure in Windows changes as I showed above. Could Windows be showing a non-live reading?
March 7, 2010 2:26:23 PM

rhino89 said:
When I change the multiplier there is no change to the figures displayed in CPU-Z (they stay at 800MHz), however the figure in Windows changes as I showed above. Could Windows be showing a non-live reading?

I really don't know. At this point the only thing that you could try is remove your CPU from the MB and reinstall it again (change the thermal paste). If that doesn't work, then I must agree with truhls, the CPU is faulty.
March 7, 2010 2:38:33 PM

yannickhk said:
I really don't know. At this point the only thing that you could try is remove your CPU from the MB and reinstall it again (change the thermal paste). If that doesn't work, then I must agree with truhls, the CPU is faulty.

So there is no chance that it is the motherboard? I don't want to go around and get the wrong product replaced.

Thanks to those who helped! :) 
March 7, 2010 5:16:06 PM

+1
print this thread out (save it)

There's on old parable ... the last line goes ...

" If *FOUR* people call you a horse, it's time to buy a saddle".

You have certainly done YOUR part.

= Al =
March 7, 2010 5:17:19 PM

Wait !

You straightenned that pin with a pencil ... better edit first!
March 7, 2010 11:31:21 PM

rhino89 said:
So there is no chance that it is the motherboard? I don't want to go around and get the wrong product replaced.

Thanks to those who helped! :) 

Well honestly, it could be the MOBO, the CPU, or the PSU. THe fact that it boots at all, means it probably isnt the MOBO. But maybe the mobo wont let it get enough power, so it wont work properly. Same with the PSU, maybe it just isnt getting enough power some how, but everything looks like it is working fine, and your fans spin and all i take it, so it probably isnt the PSU. Your best bet is to RMA the CPU.
March 8, 2010 12:29:07 AM

just yesterday a guy had a similar issue and it finally went away when he plugged the PSU main mobo connector back in (correctly, i presume) ...

... would be nice to have access to another PSU.

= sigh =
March 8, 2010 3:34:40 PM

Hi all,

After reading about I have decided that the motherboard is to blame. It is not "faulty" - just that AM2+ MBs can sometimes have issues with AM3 CPUs. Are there any recommendations out there for a reliable NON-GIGABYTE- Motherboard. I will also need to replace my memory with DDR3 memory. Together I have about £150 - £160 to spend.

Thanks
March 9, 2010 12:29:09 AM

rhino89 said:
Hi all,

After reading about I have decided that the motherboard is to blame. It is not "faulty" - just that AM2+ MBs can sometimes have issues with AM3 CPUs. Are there any recommendations out there for a reliable NON-GIGABYTE- Motherboard. I will also need to replace my memory with DDR3 memory. Together I have about £150 - £160 to spend.

Thanks

Whoua, take a step back there. There is no way that it is the MB. If it were, you wouldn't have this kind of results with CPU-Z ...

You should make sure of it before spending money. Just a suggestion.
March 10, 2010 6:13:16 PM

Hi, I was wondering which thermal paste I should use when I reinsert my CPU + heatsink. I will have to remove the old paste which was pre-applied and then use a products such as arctic silver 5. However, I have read somewhere that AS5 should NEVER be used with AMD CPUs. Is this true? What does everyone here use?

Many thanks
a c 86 V Motherboard
a c 77 à CPUs
March 10, 2010 6:44:02 PM

I use MX-2.

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail $7.98

MX-2 cools just as well as AS5, doesn't have a cure time, and is non-conductive. The information about never using AS5 on an AMD CPU is utter BS, though. That's so ridiculous it's almost funny. The brand of CPU makes absolutely no difference when picking a thermal compound.
March 14, 2010 2:37:43 PM

Hi there, I have fixed the problem. After exchanging my Gigabyte motherboard with an Asus this morning the CPU is now running at 3.4GHz. Success! Here's the proof:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1076513

I have a question to anyone with this processor... What temperature does it run at. Idle and under stress (ie. 5% load and 100% load). Thanks to all those who helped!
March 14, 2010 2:50:15 PM

Try the TOMS OC FORUM also, for that info.

March 15, 2010 5:55:25 PM

I have retested with Prime95 and no errors!
March 15, 2010 6:47:57 PM

Glad to hear it rhino!
!