Your question

Is this the perfect dye?

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 4:09:05 PM

This dye seems like a cool thing for my PC, is it something a little... questionable to have in my water cooling loop?

More about : perfect dye

a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 4:13:08 PM

I would also like to say that I'm not joking! It would make my PC look, well... different then most.
a c 177 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:31:08 AM

What dye?

If you want color in the loop, tubing is where you do it. Dye's in the water will eventually degrade and the component chemicals will clump together and jam up blocks and such. Also it stains your tubing after a while.
So if your willing to clean out your blocks on a fairly regular basis then it should be fine, but otherwise just have plain distilled and colored tubing.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:53:20 AM

The word "This" is a link smart one.
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 12:56:51 AM

Just a note to the mods since I was banned for a while by "smart one" I was being sarcastic not mean.
a c 177 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:00:49 AM

That is a good example of a dye you dont want running in your loop.
Despite it not saying it anywhere, that dye is not intended for permanent use. That clogs your loop really fast. Only useful for when you want to put your system on display.

As I said before, coloured tubing. You can also set up LED lighting if you want a glow effect. Bitfenix offer an "Aqua" range of LED strips that should work inside the loop.
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:07:21 AM

What about a dark blue? Pink would have made my PC one of a kind :) .
a c 333 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:26:14 AM

I think you are missing the point...Mayhem's Aurora is meant as a very temporary-use coolant for shows, etc. and not meant to be run long term as it tends to separate out into various components from what I have read many times around the web.
a c 78 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:52:24 AM

Mayhems Users Club @ OCN

* get it if you want to add color to your loop, you'll quickly realize that it'll wreck with your ~$300 watercooling setup.
** You can get a nice picture after adding the dye however temps won't be favorable to you which would dictate tearing down your loop (seems like a lot of effort for some pics to show off to the public) and if we're carrying on from this thread, Mike, creator of Mayhems Dye's strongly suggests users to avoid the XSPC bay res if you want to use his dyes. Might want to look at my $500+ setup in my vintage case mod...one reason for going with the Gigabyte orange is so that I can pass off a death sentence to the H50 and I had to rethink my res options if I wanted to try the dyes from Mayhem out.

You have money and time to splash -> go ahead.
You want solid results with you coming back to show off how good your loop is working (without the coolant) -> go ahead.

*** would suggest the latter instead of the former.
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:58:16 AM

I always though the best option is to keep the water, just water because the liquid is meant for cooling not color. But the tubes will cost $25 instead of the cheap $10 dyes.
a c 78 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 2:02:50 AM

If you do the math right, the $10 option means more than 24hrs of loop prepping/filling/testing again after you are disappointed. Ever heard of the saying time is money?
a c 333 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 2:05:01 AM

Watercooling isn't a cheap hobby, but tubing is one place you can cut some corners...you can usually find hardware store tubing pretty cheap (clear only) and some is pretty good.

If you are dead set on color, my recommendation is to go with distilled+colored tubing or clear tubing+dye, not coolants.
!