Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD Green Caviar not recognized by computer

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2010 7:52:41 AM

Hello,
I'm trying to set up a SATA WD Green 500 GB in a litle older system that has SATA conections built in to the mother board. I see on the boot up it recognizes the drive properly. When I go to install the drive I get can't recognize or there is not any HD to install. I have two similar systems and it fails on both of them. I set the bios to auto detect and change from IDE to a legacy setting on on of the bios to no avail. I even try just to load XP Media in hopes that it will recognize the drive and again It doesn't detect a hard drive either. I ran the diagnostic and everything checks out fine. I try and download the new installation and burn it to a CD and one computer won't pick it up and the other wont boot from the CD ROM I'm pulling my hair out because it seems we are getting less support than usual after they sell their product. I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2010 2:05:43 PM

If the board is too old(Sata 1.5 gigabits/sec), it will not see new sata drives(3.0 gigabits/sec) right. try this. If you do not have a jumper, look for a spare one with your motherboard accessories box.

Enable Opt1 - Pin 5 to 6

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...

My old K8 System has the exact same problem. The jumper fixes it for me.
m
l
March 6, 2010 5:15:01 PM

Thanks. I'll try it
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2010 12:16:29 AM

If I read this right you DO see the new HDD properly in BIOS screens and in the POST. Moreover, you have run some hardware diagnostics and it passed just fine. Those say you have no hardware problem (probably not even a SATA / SATA II speed clash that needs jumper settings).

I suspect you problem is that you have not Initialized your new drive. In this case the hardware will appear just fine, but you will never see it in Windows My Computer or Explorer.

EVERY new hard drive needs two operations done on it before the OS can use it. You first must establish a Partition on it (or more than one if you choose) that will be treated by Windows as a "Drive" with its own name. Then you have to Format it so it is ready for files. Disk Management in Windows has the tools you need. The following is a paste-in of a previous post of mine, so a few little details might not be right for you. It kind of assumes you are using Win XP, but later versions are similar.

You have to start in just the right spot . Click Start, RIGHT-click My Computer in the window, then click on Manage from the menu. In the new Computer Management window expand "Storage" if necessary and click on Disk Management. Now, examine the TWO right-hand panes. The upper one shows you only the devices Windows already knows how to use. The lower one, which SCROLLS, also shows you other devices Windows does not yet understand. Your new disk should be here with no letter name and no info, most of it probably marked as a block of Unallocated Space. RIGHT-click on it and, from the menu, choose to Create a Partition on the drive. You'll have a choice of how big it should be and most likely want to use all the drive in one volume. (You can use only part of the space. If you do, when you are finished come back here and find the remainder shown as "Unallocated Space". You can create a second Partition or more in it if you want.) For this first Partition, make it the Primary or Active Partition, and NOT bootable because this drive is for data only - you already have a boot drive. When all the choices are made, go ahead with the Partition operation.

When that is done, come back to this new Partition and RIGHT-click on it and choose to Format it. Choose the NTFS File System option. A Quick Format will do the job in 5 to 15 minutes. A Full Format will do a Quick Format, then go though every sector of the drive and test it, marking off any faulty ones (very rare) so they won't be used. Full Format takes many hours!

In many newer Windows these two operations are combined into one apparent step in a Wizard that starts up as soon as you choose to Create a Partition.

When you are done, reboot and your newly prepared hard drive should show up in My Computer as an empty unit ready for use.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 7, 2010 12:19:07 PM

I would have suggested as you, but since he is installing windows from the look of things it is hard to right click my computer(maybe I DID misread). and since he already set it to legacy IDE, I also assume there is no need for controller drivers.

If you DO have windows running, then yes, you will have to go into disk management to get it setup and partitioned.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 8, 2010 12:25:22 PM

OH! Nukemaster picked up an important point I missed. You do NOT has your OS installed yet, right? In that case, ignore almost everything I said above, because the entire Partitioning and Formatting operations will be done as a very early step during your Windows Install - you do NOT have to do them separately.

Now, you can't install if Windows Install cannot see the HDD unit. From what you say, the drive shows up properly in the boot sequence POST displays, and even passes some sort of diagnostic test. So that's a puzzle. Here are some things to check.

1. Exactly as Nukemaster said, check whether your mobo SATA ports are the original type (1.5 Gb/s) or faster SATA II (3.0 Gb/s). A new HDD is supposed to adjust itself automatically, but some fail to do so. Check the WD website for how to set a jumper on pins on the back of the drive to force it to slow down to the older (slower) communication rate. It will ALWAYS work that way, no matter which SATA type your mobo has.
2. In BIOS Setup, ensure the SATA ports are enabled. Since you are installing XP, go to the Port Mode setting near there and set it to IDE (or PATA) emulation, NOT SATA, AHCI, or RAID.
3. Find the place where you specify the Boot Priority Sequence. Set the first device to be your optical drive, the second one to be your SATA drive, and NO other choices. Save and Exit.

Now try loading Win XP by putting the Install disk in the optical drive and rebooting the machine. It should boot from that Install disk. Pay close attention to the messages it gives you about where it could do the installation. If it cannot find a drive at all, that's one thing (skip down to tests below). If it finds the right SATA drive but it is completely full, then use the menus to find the place to Delete any and all Partitions already on the drive so it is empty. Then proceed with the installation.

Now, if Windows Install still says there is no drive present, you should go back to testing. I'm not sure what you used already. I suggest you download and install the free utilities called Data Lifegard from the WD site. I prefer the version that you burn to a bootable CD-R. You boot from that disk and run without any need for an OS installed on the HDD. Run all its tests and see what they tell you. Write down results and codes of any failures, and consult WD Tech Support for more info. If it is faulty and requires warranty replacement, they will want to know those results.
March 17, 2010 4:29:59 PM

That is correct. This is a new install. It turns out, even though I had the hard drive directly connected to the motherboard. There was a conflict with the IDE controller board I had installed onto the motherboard. Even though i could see the hard drive in the bios setup, It would not recognize it when I was trying to install XP onto it. Needless to say, I removed the controller card and bam the hard drive was recognized and I was able to partition it and format it, then install the OS.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my call for help. This is an excellent avenue to help resolve issues for even an amateur, like myself. I will be referring to this site to illicit help for my tinkering projects.

Thanks again.
m
l
March 17, 2010 5:22:56 PM

Best answer selected by tacker.
m
l
!