Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive showing in manage but not on pc

Last response: in Storage
March 23, 2012 2:34:20 PM

I wonder if someone can help me, I have a laptop hard drive installed in a case, making it a portable hard drive but for some reason Explorer does not recognise it but when I go into disc management it shows it on the interface.
a b G Storage
March 23, 2012 2:47:18 PM

In disk management you can make it active then it will show up.
March 23, 2012 2:58:57 PM

It only needs to be active if its a boot partition. It needs to be online and formatted in order for it to show up in the OS.
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 23, 2012 3:07:35 PM

branflan said:
It only needs to be active if its a boot partition. It needs to be online and formatted in order for it to show up in the OS.

You do this in the disk manager.
a b G Storage
March 23, 2012 3:39:40 PM

branflan is correct. if the HD was a bootable windows install at one point in its life you will need to go to the diskmanager and right click on it and click "online". As soon as you click on line windows should give it a drive letter so you can see it in my computer, and browse all the old files.

If you dont need the old files at this point you can reformat it or even delete and recreate the partition.
a b G Storage
March 23, 2012 3:42:16 PM

DO NOT!!!! mark it active or win7 will try to boot from it, and your windows 7 install will need a repair.
a b G Storage
March 23, 2012 3:55:26 PM

True. The appropriate selection is online.
March 24, 2012 10:30:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions but all I get not greyed out on a right click in Disk Management is "delete" or "help". There are two partitioned volumes showing, one says:- healthy (active primary partition) and the other says heal
healthy (primary partition) on the right side box it names it as Disc 5 basic 298.09 GB Online but it doesn't show up when I open "My computer"
July 11, 2012 3:55:12 AM

I have the exact same problem now. Did you ever figure this out?
!