Your question

RX240 heat dissipation

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 1, 2013 8:08:10 PM

Firstly, I'm looking too cool an i7 3930k in a new build. I will OC it pretty high (~4.8GHz), and will be on 24/7. I'm a little unsure which vcore that goes with the OC, but I assume that the maximum wattage the CPU will generate to be a little under 300w.

Yes, this is only going to be a CPU loop.

At first I was considering getting an RX360, but after looking at a few comparison charts, I saw that it dissipated a whole lot more watts than I would ever need to. For that reason, I consider getting an RX240 instead.

So (how do I put this...), what fan RPM would I need to cool this CPU with an RX240?

It's a bit late here, so sorry if I'm a little unclear, I'm half asleep lol. :D 

Edit: I kind of like the Be-Quiet Shadow Wings SW1 120mm.

CFM: 76,2 CFM
RPM: 2200

I plan on getting a fan controller, so that I can run them at lower RPMs.

Any ideas?

More about : rx240 heat dissipation

a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 8:59:48 PM

The RX240 would fine with just running your CPU o/c'ed

Voltage required to reach that OC , you won't know till you start trying , you may or may not reach your desired OC based on how good a chip you get and what board (4.6 is quite easy to get stable)

High RPM fans are always going to be louder but a fan controller is to help with that

The RX240 mind you is optimized for low air speeds, so more CFM isn't going to give a huge benefit

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2013 9:21:08 PM

some of the best radiator fans you can buy are the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM Fans.

Very low noise and high static pressure as well as 63 CFM.

The static pressure is more important than the CFM for radiator fans. as the radiator or Heatsync adds resistance to the air's path. Its the static Pressure of a fan that allows it to push through the obstacle of a RAD or Heatsinc.

A 100+ CFM fan with low static pressure ratings will move very little air through a restrictive heatsinc or RAD.

A 240 RAD will be great for the CPU loop. orgionally ran a RX240 for my CPU and MOBO blocks. when i added a GPU to the loop I added a 2nd RX240.

I Have 4x GT 1850's on my rad's (push only) and with a fan controller they run at 1300-1500 rpm. I have not ever had a need to turn them up and they are almost completly silent at this speed.
Related resources
January 1, 2013 9:49:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

The Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM fans look great. They actually generate a very pleasant sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2Qnz-1OIw), IMO.

Will definitely grab a pair of those! :D 
January 1, 2013 11:00:13 PM

Do you know the lowest RPM it is possible to run them at with a fan controller?
January 2, 2013 5:07:56 PM

So, just to sum up; an RX240 with two of those 1850 RPM fans should work fine cooling a 3930k at ~4.8GHz-5GHz (maximum ~300w, depending on vcore)?
a b à CPUs
a c 331 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 5:19:39 PM

Yes, I would say it definitely should, although finding stability (and voltage needed) over 4.5ghz might not be very easy or good on your chip.
January 2, 2013 5:27:33 PM

Thanks for the reply! :D 

And yeah, I heard it's different from chip to chip. We'll see how that goes.

Cheers!
a b à CPUs
a c 331 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 6:31:54 PM

Ivy Bridge chips are a little less prone to overclock to those speeds like Sandy Bridge chips are/have been and they definitely like getting hot when you do.
!