Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 1.8 vs Athlon II 2.8 vs Sempron 2.7

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs

Which is the better deal for the mentioned circumstances?

Total: 13 votes (1 blank vote)

• Phenom 9150E $60
  • 17 %
  • Athlon II 240 $70
  • 84 %
  • Sempron 140 $40
  • 0 %
a c 131 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 6:57:36 PM

I have found the following deals in my local area. All include the same Asus 785G chipset motherboard AM2+:

Phenom x4 1.8GHz 9150E total cost: $140

Athlon II 240 x2 2.8GHz total cost: $150

Sempron 140 2.7GHz: $120

Which is the best deal under the following conditions and uses:
-Work computer. MS-word 5-7 windows typing.
-online flash games. mainly card games
- internet browsing
-up to 1080p movies for watching
-system will remain unaltered for 5 years. Probability of upgrading from XP to windows 7 or 8 in that time: 50%
-System will have 2GB of memory and integrated graphics from the 785G chipset.

-no overclocking or CPU or system alteration
-noise of the stock HSF is something you are free to comment on but do not make it a deciding factor in your vote.
-These prices are local and for comparison purposes only. Please do not suggest alternates. Gaming will not be done at all on this system.
-Please keep in mind the potential owner is currently used to a netburst single core celeron at 2.4GHz.

More about : phenom athlon sempron

a c 83 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 7:03:22 PM

Honestly you shouldn't even consider the Sempron, even if they're use to a single core celeron now, no reason to leave them with a single core sempron for the next 5 years.

The Phenom X4 is a fine chip, but with the real low clock speed that model has, it struggles with anything cpu intensive that isn't well threaded. It will work fine for those tasks, but I just don't like the low clock speed.

If it isn't obviouse, I would take the Athlon II X2.
a c 131 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 7:05:03 PM

loneninja said:
Honestly you shouldn't even consider the Sempron, even if they're use to a single core celeron now, no reason to leave them with a single core sempron for the next 5 years.

The Phenom X4 is a fine chip, but with the real low clock speed that model has, it struggles with anything cpu intensive that isn't well threaded. It will work fine for those tasks, but I just don't like the low clock speed.

If it isn't obviouse, I would take the Athlon II X2.

Yep. That was my main consideration already. Thanks for your response. Any differing opinions?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 7:25:39 PM

You should really give us a link to the site, state what parts does he need and his budget.
a c 131 à CPUs
May 13, 2010 7:27:57 PM

mosox said:
You should really give us a link to the site, state what parts does he need and his budget.

I would do that... if I wanted your opinions on the rest of the build. But that is not my question. My question is straightforward. Thanks for the offer though. Also, as I said before, the deals were local.
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2010 8:03:41 PM

Myself,I built a budget system using the Athlon II 240 with a 785G motherboard with a combo deal that I got on newegg.
I was rather pleasantly surprised at how well it gamed (Mind you slightly older games that I obtained at the website Good Old Games (no DRM,can install on multiple PC's)).iL-2 Sturmovik 1946 ran wonderfully.
It's not my main gaming system (I have 2 others at another location much more beefy) but it's a nice system that I'm using right now.I'm using WiMAX to connect to the Internet.I increased my system RAM though to 4 Gigabytes (in case I desire to upgrade the Operating System to Windows 7).2 seemed too little for me.Windows 7 & Vista hog up system memory as compared to XP (Toms had an article in the past on that).
May 13, 2010 11:42:34 PM

I said the phenom. Watching 1080p movies is the toughest thing there and decoding loves cores. Tho the athlon II does more per tick and is higher clockspeed so what it lacks in cores it makes up for it elsewhere. TBH I would go for the one that has the lower TDP since the price is so close.
!