I bought two Western Digital WD30EZRX 3 Tb Sata III hard drives two weeks ago. I installed the hard drives without problem. I had access to 2.7 Tb instantly. Im having a strange problem with one of the hard drives. Seems that after hibernate the pc one of the hard drives keep disappearing (this is the third time). I dont know the exact moment of the disappearance. After a reboot the hard drive shows again with all the information.
I have a X58-UD3R r2.0 mobo. The hard drives are connected to the two Sata III ports that the mobo has available. Im using Win 7 x64.
I must mention that Im using Sata II cables for both WD30EZRX because I cant buy in my country Sata III cables (I investigated and I have read that Sata II = Sata III cable). I discovered that when the hard drive dissapear I can recover it using the "Scan for hardware change" in the Device Manager. After a second it appears again in the device manager and after a minute is available in windows again. I investigated and some people had the same problem. I have read that a possible causative could be that large hard drives needs more time to be "turn on" and that maybe that is a possible variant. Windows have a hotfix for that but I have SP1 so is included in my system.
I have read that some users solved the problem activating ACPI = S3 in bios. I dont have that option in my bios (X58A-UD3R r2.0) but I discovered that I can set the Access Mode to Large (I have only two options for the 3 Tb hard drives: Access Mode = Auto or Large). I dont know what does the Large option but I configure the Access Mode for both hard drives in Large just to try. Do you know what does the Large Access Mode and if it can help my situation?
I contacted WD and they said to me that I need to try the WD Life Guard Tool in both Quick and Extended test. Both hard drives passed the Quick test, tonight I will try the Extended test.
Thanks and sorry for my english (its not my native language).
hey mars109 since I posted this thread I have not had the problem again. I updated the bios of my mobo and manually selected access mode "Large" for both hard drives. Both are almost full capacity and they are working flawless for now. I contacted to WD and they said that I need to do an extended test for both hard drives. Both passed the Quick Test but I will do the Extended Test soon to corroborate that all is good.
I wish luck to you with your WD30EZRX and if you sort the problem or get new information please post it here to know about your method.