Sign in with
Your question

How long will QX9650 last without heatsink and fan running

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2010 12:22:22 PM

Hello,
I built my first unit, asus p5n-d mobo with a Qx9650 processor and being old and not to smart I tried to fire it up without a heat sink and fan.
It would run for maybe 15 sec. or a minute with just enough time to see some of the bios displayed but then kept shutting down.
How long will a processor run without the heat sink cooling before it goes bad?
I was thinking that since tiger direct didn't send the heat sink with the barebones kit then maybe it was okay to fire it up.
I have ordered a cooler and am waiting for UPS, I hope that there is some kind of overload protection built into the chip or board and that I have not destroyed something.
March 6, 2010 12:27:35 PM

Well, The chip proably shut itself down when it realized how hot it was getting. Honestly, you proably cuased a lot of long term damge to the chip. The chips proably gonna die a few months ealier than it would have if you ahdn't done that, but whatever, it's an outdated chip anyways so it doesn't matter.
m
l
March 6, 2010 1:06:36 PM

It probably went into thermal shutdown before any permanent damage occurred.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2010 1:14:18 PM

Thanks’ you so much for responding so soon to my question. I probably tried to start the computer 10 times but hopefully I have hope now and will wait for tiger direct to send the cooler.
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:34:03 PM

I just couldn't wait for UPS so I went to Best Buy and picked up a universal cooler and can't seem to snap it onto the board. I have it held in by two mounting pins and some string. I have been loading Windows 7 Ultimate for a few minutes and everything looks great. Not sure what temps I am running but hope to find out soon.
m
l
March 14, 2010 3:01:33 AM

builderbobftw said:
LOLZ, you should have bought this. Try to return whatever piece of crap you bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I received the heat sink/fan (ZEROtherm / CF800 / Socket 775 / Copper Base / Heatpipes / CPU Cooler)(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... ) from tiger direct and it was real nice to see how well constructed it was and easy to install, I like the back plate and machine screws/springs that just screwed it tightly on the board.

The cpu temp is around 49C - 54C and I saw were it was rated up to 64.5C so I hope that these are good numbers because I like how well the computer is running and hope that I get a long life out of the cpu.
m
l
!