Adding a third monitor

washoegary

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi Guys,

I need to add a third monitor to my system to support a new help desk. I'am currently driving 2 monitors directly from a Gigabyte MA785GM-USB MB. The MB has 3 video connectors DVI-D, D-SUB, & HDMI but can only drive 2 monitors at a time. Can I add a video card for the 3rd monitor and continue to use the MB video for the first two monitors? If I have to disable the MB video, could somwone reccomend a single video card that would dirve my three 1600x900 monitors for Software development / Non Gaming applications? The onboard MB video (ATI Raedon HD 4200) has more than enough performance for my applications.

Thanks

Solution
as far as i am aware, that is not possible.

the integrated and dedicated video card cannot run simultaneously. you need a dedicated card capable of running the three displays.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

if you want to drive three monitors, you will need a 5 series ATI card. they have 'eyefinity' tech and are the easiest way to run three monitors.

if you aren't gaming, a 5670 should suffice. perhaps even less, depending on how demanding your software is.

washoegary

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the reply. The 5670 sounds like a good way to drive 3 monitors directly. I would still like to know if I could install a $40 4350 or equiv card to drive the 3rd monitor, and continue to drive the other two monitors from the Gigabyte MA785GM-USB MB. Would this question be better answered by the motherboard fourm???