Sign in with
Your question

PC shuts down while performing furmark stability test

Last response: in Overclocking
January 2, 2013 3:30:30 AM

Hi, sorry if I'm in a wrong forum section, I'm new.
I recently built a PC that I want for gaming with the following components
Processor AMD FX 8150
Motherboard Asus M5A88-M
8GB RAM DDR3
a 800w PSU
Radeon HD 7950

Once I had everything, I ran Metro 2033 at max and the computer shut down in about 10 minutes, I began to monitor my temperatures because the whole system was quite hot but everything was quite normal, the highest temperature was my CPU that reached 61C while playing Saints row the third at Max.

I downloaded Furmark to perform a stability test and the PC shuts down every time I set it, even at the lowest screen resolution, I know it's my PSU, It's the first thing that shuts down.

I have another PSU (600W 12V 30A)and I'm thinking of connecting my GPU to that one and perform the stability test to see if it passes, but the thing is that my GPU requires at least 550W 12V 42A.

What do you guys think?
should it try doing that?
I don't have enough money to buy a bigger PSU but I can afford another of the same 800W PSU, should I get it for the GPU alone and use the one i have for everything else?

thanks in advance :) 
a c 88 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 6:39:46 AM

Go ahead and use the 600W PSU, you will have more than enough power. I don't know where your power draw numbers came from but they are highly over inflated. Here's what AMD says amout the HD 7950 power requirements "500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended" found here http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79... That's the system requirement, not just the requirement for the GPU... The maximum your entire system can use (as posted) is less than 450W with everything at 100% load and overclocked (GPU is 250W, CPU 125W) not that you'll ever get to those power draws (without super overclocking).
January 2, 2013 7:00:54 AM

Does you PC shut down if you don't overclock?

It looks like 800w PSU is enough to power that machine. What is the exact model of the PSU?
Related resources
January 2, 2013 7:39:09 AM

C12Friedman said:
Go ahead and use the 600W PSU, you will have more than enough power. I don't know where your power draw numbers came from but they are highly over inflated. Here's what AMD says amout the HD 7950 power requirements "500W (or greater) power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended" found here http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79... That's the system requirement, not just the requirement for the GPU... The maximum your entire system can use (as posted) is less than 450W with everything at 100% load and overclocked (GPU is 250W, CPU 125W) not that you'll ever get to those power draws (without super overclocking).

I'll be trying that later today since It's 2:38 AM here, I hope it works...
January 2, 2013 7:51:31 AM

donsrbin said:
Does you PC shut down if you don't overclock?

It looks like 800w PSU is enough to power that machine. What is the exact model of the PSU?

PC shuts down both normal and overclocked, tried overclocking to 4.2GHZ and running benchmark with furmark and shut down in a matter of seconds...

My psu is a PIXXO Monster PW-ATX 800, and as I'm reading its reviews I'm guessing that's the problem and that I should get a better PSU since its a generic one
January 2, 2013 4:49:05 PM

Ok, I tried my other PSU, the 600W one, and it didn't shut down, however, I lost the video signal and the computer kept runing fast.

I ran metro 2033 and it didn't shut down either, but after a while it started to smell odd as if something was starting to overheat, I'm not sure whether the smell came from the PSU or my Processor...
a c 88 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 6:12:38 PM

By computer running fast I assume you mean the fan(s). Are you overclocked at all? If so, what cooler do you have on your CPU? Sounds off hand as though the 7950 is acting up, if the 7950 is overclocked at all try bringing the the clocks back a bit. If it is not overclocked, pull the graphics card, remove the drivers (use motherboard's vid) then reinstall the graphics card and update the drivers through either the manufacturers website (best), AMD's website (not as good) see where you get then
!