$500 laptops

Hi,

Its been a while since someone asked this question, so here goes..
What are the current best options for a $500 second hand laptop? I
would prefer a lightweight laptop ( anything less than 4 pds), a 12.1
inch monitor, and I need a CD ROM drive for installing stuff. A 6G HDD
and about 128MB memory should do. Preferably an IBM/Toshiba/DEll...
Anywhere between 500-700MHz PIII should also suffice.
TIA,

-- Raghu
11 answers Last reply
More about laptops

    > Its been a while since someone asked this question, so here goes..
    > What are the current best options for a $500 second hand laptop? I

    With your specs, I favor either the Compaq Armada M300 (PIII-600MHz
    available) or ThinkPad 240X. Both should be ~$400 or less, 12.1"
    1024x768 LCD, great battery life on the 240X. Note there are many
    flavors of each of those models, shop around to get the right LCD/CPU
    mix. Both are expandable to 192Mb RAM.

    T-23 P3 1.13 gig/30 gig/256/DVD
    $565

    On 26 Aug 2004 05:29:05 -0700, srinivrm@email.uc.edu (Raghuram
    Srinivasan) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Its been a while since someone asked this question, so here goes..
    >What are the current best options for a $500 second hand laptop? I
    >would prefer a lightweight laptop ( anything less than 4 pds), a 12.1
    >inch monitor, and I need a CD ROM drive for installing stuff. A 6G HDD
    >and about 128MB memory should do. Preferably an IBM/Toshiba/DEll...
    >Anywhere between 500-700MHz PIII should also suffice.
    >TIA,
    >
    >-- Raghu

    I heard Walmart is offering a NEW laptop for $600 with 128 mb memory,
    and a 40 gb hdd and includes wireless 802.11b and cd/dvd. I don't
    have the lnik handy.

    www.walmart.com

    > Its been a while since someone asked this question, so here goes..
    > What are the current best options for a $500 second hand laptop? I

    Second hand?!? Why not new? Last Friday after Thanksgiving, BestBuy
    already sold thousands of that Toshiba 15" notebook for only $499 AR.
    No point buying old, used and slow when new notebooks can be had for the
    same price.....

    ---

    www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals for the latest laptop deals
    threads.

    ---

    Even a new Dell laptop sells for only $674 (see www.techbargains.com
    listing today). With a free printer or PDA, even! (similar $500-600
    brand-new, in-box, unopened laptops on sale all the time on www.ebay.com
    -- from all of those who got those $499 laptops and other deals and are
    trying to make some money reselling them at a higher price)

    ---

    Don't forget to sign up for the AT&T Universal Mastercard (see
    www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> finance section, search "AT&T". They
    currently offer a full 5% cash back on all purchases until 2/2005, so
    you can drop the laptop price down a little just by using this card.

    ---

    As for lightweight, cheap & CD-ROM, well, that's very rare since most
    older lightwieghts didn't have a CD-ROM drive, and the ones that did
    usually weren't worth buying.

    Today, the Averatec 3220 series 4.2lbs Athlon notebooks at Staples
    (on sale at times down to $699) is the best bet in a new one, light.
    Great reviews from most websites, solid machine with sharp & bright
    screen, and the faster speed will make it a keeper for many more years
    to come.

    although $199 over the $500 budget, you may consider it to be a
    'better' investment in the long-term due to the new parts, faster speed,
    and so forth. after all, wasting time waiting for a slower, older
    notebook sometimes is just, well, a total waste of one's time......

    > >would prefer a lightweight laptop ( anything less than 4 pds), a 12.1
    >
    > I heard Walmart is offering a NEW laptop for $600 with 128 mb memory,

    It's not really a laptop, it's a DeskNote, which is essentially a
    desktop machine in a laptop form factor. And it's hardly
    "lightweight".

    John Poutre <jfp14news@cox.net> wrote:
    >> and a 40 gb hdd and includes wireless 802.11b and cd/dvd. I don't
    >> have the lnik handy.
    >>

    > www.walmart.com

    You'll need another 256M to make this laptop usable... And an external
    battery. EBay might get you 1GHz for 500, but I doubt it. Laptops with
    all their parts take large amnounts of cash on EBay. I am using one
    now. It is about 652 with tax and shipping.

    You can buy a brand new laptop, decent, for $599. WE got a Toshiba A45
    for $599 on memorial day weekend, both Circuit City and Best Buy had
    them at that price (ok, it was $899 and $999 less multiple rebates
    totaling $300 and $400 rebates, respectively .... and I did get the
    rebates). You have to catch them on sale, but it can be done several
    times per year. Staples has an A65 on sale for $799 after rebates right
    now. The A45 is a 2.8 GHz Celeron with 15" LCD, sound, DVD/CD-RW
    burner, 30 gig hard drive, 256 meg of RAM. No speed demon, it's a
    budget laptop, but at anything like $599 it was a bargain.

    The machine that you describe is no where near $500 in today's market,
    might be closer to $300.

    Raghuram Srinivasan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Its been a while since someone asked this question, so here goes..
    > What are the current best options for a $500 second hand laptop? I
    > would prefer a lightweight laptop ( anything less than 4 pds), a 12.1
    > inch monitor, and I need a CD ROM drive for installing stuff. A 6G HDD
    > and about 128MB memory should do. Preferably an IBM/Toshiba/DEll...
    > Anywhere between 500-700MHz PIII should also suffice.
    > TIA,
    >
    > -- Raghu

    On 27 Aug 2004 01:22:00 GMT, "Mark E. Daniel"
    <travlinman@mailbox.cafe4111.net> wrote:

    >John Poutre <jfp14news@cox.net> wrote:
    >>> and a 40 gb hdd and includes wireless 802.11b and cd/dvd. I don't
    >>> have the lnik handy.
    >>>

    >> www.walmart.com
    >>

    >You'll need another 256M to make this laptop usable... And an external
    >battery. EBay might get you 1GHz for 500, but I doubt it. Laptops with
    >all their parts take large amnounts of cash on EBay. I am using one
    >now. It is about 652 with tax and shipping.

    He didn't say anything about useable. I just pointed out that there
    is a new one with better specs available.

    Raghuram,

    Bruce is a reliable resource ... also check at:

    http://tinyurl.com/6ko9t

    Regards ... John

    Try Ebay. They have lots of laptops listed. Good luck.

    "Raghuram Srinivasan" <srinivrm@email.uc.edu> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Its been a while since someone asked this question, so here goes..
    > What are the current best options for a $500 second hand laptop? I
    > would prefer a lightweight laptop ( anything less than 4 pds), a 12.1
    > inch monitor, and I need a CD ROM drive for installing stuff. A 6G HDD
    > and about 128MB memory should do. Preferably an IBM/Toshiba/DEll...
    > Anywhere between 500-700MHz PIII should also suffice.
    > TIA,
    >
    > -- Raghu

Laptops