yo_yo2400

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Why do some people think avidly that Intel is better than AMD? What makes them better?
Sorry a friend was bugging me today about it. Thanks in advance!

Intel on a whole has faster processors but when you look at performance to cost ratio Intel sucks. I like both companies both have great processors and have used both AMD and Intel. AMD got a bad rap from some not so good chips a few years back but they have really bounced back with the Athlon II and Phenom II.

Some people are just ignorant to AMD and some people just think if its cheap its got to be bad but thats not the case. I am on an Intel Core 2 Quad system now and I would have to say unless Intel lowers prices to where the average person can afford it I will be building a nice Phenom II x6 rig or wait and see what Bulldozer brings to the table.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
+1

The only things that make intel 'better' are:

1. They make more money.
2. They're ahead in the fab race.
3. They have higher IPC and HT (Higher performing CPUs). But AMD isn't far behind.

*edit*
Oh and if it counts;

Triple channel memory
Ability to crossfire/sli on the same board.

randomkid

Distinguished

In business perspective, intel really is much better than AMD.

Intel Reports Record First Quarter

Revenue $10.3 Billion
Gross Margin 63%
Operating Income $3.4 Billion
Net Income $2.4 Billion
http://www.intc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=458807&ReleasesType=Home

AMD Reports Record First Quarter Revenue

AMD1,2 revenue $1.57 billion
Net income $257 million, EPS $0.35, operating income $182 million
Non-GAAP net income $63 million, EPS $0.09, operating income $130 million
Gross margin 47% and non-GAAP gross margin 43%
First quarter 2010 results reflect the deconsolidation of GLOBALFOUNDRIES
http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/q1-earnings-2010apr15.aspx

^ Also THIS:

You can get Intel’s (INTC) numbers from a dozen different places so I won’t bother with the obvious. Here are just a few bullets that you should keep in mind if you’re an Intel investor, a technology investor, or just plain wondering what’s going on at a macro level.

Management commented that, for the first time in quite a while, the company is seeing improvement in desktop PC demand in the corporate market. They’re not willing to declare the start of a enterprise replacement cycle but you could sense the relief. Cisco (CSCO) signaled it had seen early signs of such a change back in February and Intel saw strong server demand in December. But now the all-important desktop is showing signs of life.

Intel’s 44% top-line growth mirrored the 47% revenue growth reported by Acer (number two PC OEM) for its March quarter. No disconnects there!

The demand for the company’s new 32nm products was dramatically greater than anticipated. The implications of this are twofold.

First, Intel is pulling forward the migration of its third and fourth fabs to its 32nm process and expects to have those completed by the fourth quarter. This acceleration is likely to be the catalyst behind the company increasing its gross margin outlook for 2010 from 61% to 64%. Assuming the world doesn’t fall apart over the next nine months, I think it’s reasonably certain that they exceed 64% for the year.

Second, Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) will probably report really great numbers Thursday after the close. However, the chasm between these two remains quite wide. Intel sets pricing and Advanced Micro Devices dances to that tune. Semiconductor costs are essentially a function of silicon area. Intel started its 32nm ramp in the December quarter as Advanced Micro Devices was just completing its migration to 45nm on its microprocessors. Advanced Micro Devices is not expected to produce 32nm parts until sometime in 2011, at which point Intel will be on the 2x-node. Advanced Micro Devices remains at a severe competitive disadvantage.

The worldwide recession caused most businesses to delay their upgrade cycle, but now that it seems to be getting better, businesses are looking at capital expenditures once again. Also, despite the above prediction (made before AMD actually posted their financials for Q1), AMD did not post "really great numbers" - they either suffered a small loss or profit, depending on how you account for the GF spinoff line item.