Hard drive Failure ?

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
:( So after booting up this morning I find that one of my WD 2TB Green Drives has possibly failed :pfff: and gives me this window containing (This volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all the required file drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted) when I try to access it. I have a little over 85% filled with movies. Is it in fact failed or is there some Magic I can use to re-gain the use of it ? Any help would be great.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
The only thing I could really recommend is try formatting the drive. This will delete everything on the drive however. Hopefully your practices good habits and made a backup of the drive. If not I'm sorry but chances are that's the only way to get the drive usable again. However I cannot guarantee it will fix it

If you have a suspect hard drive the best test is to download and run the manufacturers of your hard drive diagnostic software from their web site. If it fails the test then the chances of getting your data back is slim. If it passes then there is a very good chance that you will be able to get your data back and that the drive can be fixed by reformatting.

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Well I down loaded and ran the WD Data Life Guard Diagnostic Tool and everything is fine and passed with flying colors BUT where the H_LL is all my data ? I will have to send a Email to WD and see if they can figure it out.

PCJunkie

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Possible Issues (from my experience)

1. You've downloaded a corrupted file which is causing files to disappear.

2. You're internal hard drive components have been damaged from excessive use, dropping it, etc...

3. You accidently started the Format process and then stopped it which will erase the menu extension that your operating system needs to be able to identify the files on the drive. Which unfortunately is the first set of files removed once formatting begins.

Your best option is to run a Forensic Scanning Software on the drive to determine what is left and what can be salvaged.

Every (Newer) Hard Drive is equipped with a Smart Chip that these programs can access and give you a recovery list. In my opinion much better than the proprietary Diagnostic Tools that the manufacturer offers.

Try these guys: http://www.cnwrecovery.com/

Hope that helps.

:sol: