dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
i just bought the amd phenom x4 955 got it today and its making a high pitch noise and its driving me insane cant afford to get a new cpu fan/heatsink till next payday any ideas to get rid of it?

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Nope but i figured it was the cpu fan by lightly taping on the center of the fan (where the amd sticker is) and it goes away when i tap it. I know thats not good but thats how i figured it was that

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
It would come back when i lifted my finger i also tried pushing on the right corner of the cpu fan and it stopped you must be right its baring must be wrong i turned off my computer and put a screw on the right corner hole on the fan a small one and screwed it in i think its gone ill have to get back to you on that.

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
is there any harm turning down cpu fan speed it was at level 9 (highest) the shound stopped at lvl 7 just to inform i do have 2 120mm fans right next to the cpu Antec 300 illusion case if you want to look it up

T quiet a noisy fan bearing its a temporary fix but I have don't it before.

Take the fan off the heatsink then you will see a sticker on the back side of the fan if you peal that off and just put a very tiny drop of some house hold oil in it then tape it back up to seal it. Should fix the noise until you can guy a new one.

You can lower the fan speed but just watch your temps.

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I also underclocked the cpu to 2.9ghz till i can get a Heatsink/fan any recommendations for this one i dont need top of line just going to keep it at 3.2 or 3.4 tops but prolly 3.2 since thats my sweet spot i put the cpu fan back up to lvl 9 and with the underclocking it seems to have temporarily made the sound go away.

If you have a MicroCenter near you they have a OCZ vendetta for $14.99 and then they have a $10 mail in rebate so after rebate its 4.99 its a pretty decent cooler too I put one of those on my girls computer which has an Athlon x3 435 which I unlocked the 4th core on and overclocked it to 3.4 ghz and it works really good and its cheap.

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 $19.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

or

Cooler Master Hyper 212 $26.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Both are good coolers and cheap and will allow moderate overclocking the Hyper 212 is a big cooler so you will have to make sure your case is big enough to fit it so if you have a small OEM case or just a small case in general the OCZ vendetta or the Hyper TX 3 will fit in most cases.

Slightly off-topic but SAAIELLO, I'm getting 3.5Ghz on stock cooler plenty of room left on your girls rig esp if you have an aftermarket hs on it
Op, hope your problem sorts itself out soon man
Oh I have a OCZ vendetta on it stock cooler was not cutting with 4th core unlocked and a slight overclock.. She has no need for an overclock any higher thsn what its at. I had it at 3.75 stable but like I said she had no need for it