Boot drive letter

After a hard disk failure I've installed a new one and loaded WinXP Home
onto it. For some reason it has named the drive G: rather than C: No
problem with that and my progs are now installed OK. But one important
online backup utility refuses to install on any drive other than C:

I tried changing the drive letter from G: to C: in Disk Management but it
tells me I can't change the letter of the boot disk. Any way round this,
apart from starting all over again (groans at the prospect!)? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about boot drive letter

    Probably not without involving possibly 100's of registry edits. I can't
    imagine that it would be worth the time and trouble.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "news.blueyonder.co.uk" wrote:
    | After a hard disk failure I've installed a new one and loaded WinXP Home
    | onto it. For some reason it has named the drive G: rather than C: No
    | problem with that and my progs are now installed OK. But one important
    | online backup utility refuses to install on any drive other than C:
    |
    | I tried changing the drive letter from G: to C: in Disk Management but it
    | tells me I can't change the letter of the boot disk. Any way round this,
    | apart from starting all over again (groans at the prospect!)? Thanks.

    Are you sure that the the backup utility will not install on any Drive
    other than C? Some software installation programs come pre-configured
    with Drive Letter C/Program Files/then the program name or company, etc.
    When the installation routine gets to the point that it tells you where
    the program will be installed [starting with the drive letter], change
    the drive letter to the correct one. My boot drive is D and I have done
    this several times without failure.
    Gene K

    "news.blueyonder.co.uk" <dm@davidmatthew.org.uk> wrote in message
    > After a hard disk failure I've installed a new one and loaded WinXP Home
    > onto it. For some reason it has named the drive G: rather than C: No
    > problem with that and my progs are now installed OK. But one important
    > online backup utility refuses to install on any drive other than C:
    >
    > I tried changing the drive letter from G: to C: in Disk Management but it
    > tells me I can't change the letter of the boot disk. Any way round this,
    > apart from starting all over again (groans at the prospect!)? Thanks.

    Image the disk on another computer. Wipe the disk and bring it back to
    useable on the first computer. Restore the image to the disk using the
    original computer. You will have it as C now.

Configuration Boot Hard Drives Windows XP