Can it be repaired?

One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
available.?
Ta
Pete
15 answers Last reply
More about repaired

    In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
    says...
    > One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
    > and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
    > Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
    > available.?
    > Ta
    > Pete

    First part:

    $90 dollars is CHEAP for a digital camera repair!

    Do not compare the repair price with the price of the camera, they have zero
    relationship to each other.

    Second part:

    The part would probably cost as much as a new (equivalent) camera. (the
    repair part would be sold at recommended retail, which is probably more than
    the actual cost of replacing the camera)

    Putting in the display is NOT something you can do at home unless you have
    the equivalent of a hospital microsurgery room, and some VERY tiny and
    delicate tools.

    After doing a google on the cx6200, I see that you can replace it VERY
    inexpensively at Staples, OfficeMax, Sears, Walmart, and just about any other
    store that has digital cameras for sale. All of these places have Cameras
    selling for around $100 (US) most with more resolution than the cx6200

    Buy the kid a new camera, or, let her understand that once something is
    broken, it sometimes has to stay that way.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    The price they are asking is reasonable for this type of repair. You cannot
    buy this part yourself, or repair the camera yourself, so you are stuck to
    have them service it, or get a new camera. Looking at the cost of a new
    camera, I would be inclined to have her camera repaired.

    These cameras are very fragile if dropped, or abused. Your daughter should
    understand this. But, in any case, I have seen cameras accidentally dropped
    from time to time. This is a part of life when using them.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "Pete Degnan" <peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
    and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
    Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
    available.?
    Ta
    Pete

    It does not sound like a do-it-yourself repair, but ask in
    sci.electronics.repair.

    Is the screen malfunctioning or is there just a crack in the glass or
    plastic layer? If the latter, just keep using it the way it is.

    "Pete Degnan" <peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD
    > screen and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
    > Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
    > available.?
    > Ta
    > Pete

    In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,
    peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
    says...
    > One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
    > and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
    > Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
    > available.?
    > Ta
    > Pete

    That's a $75 camera. New.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ACXZU/ruggedeleganc-20/104-7498064-3177536
    Buy another one instead, and you'll get a warranty with it.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:13:14 -0500, "Jerry G."
    <jerryg-consult@NOSPAMca.inter.net> wrote:

    >The price they are asking is reasonable for this type of repair. You cannot
    >buy this part yourself, or repair the camera yourself, so you are stuck to
    >have them service it, or get a new camera. Looking at the cost of a new
    >camera, I would be inclined to have her camera repaired.

    The camera can be had on Amazon (new) for $75.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dphoto%26field-keywords%3Dkodak%20easyshare%20cx6200%26store-name%3Dphoto/results-process%3Ddefault%26dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Faw%5Ftops-1%5Fphoto%5F6417393%5F2/104-7498064-3177536
    Or
    http://tinyurl.com/6gja3
    I don't see how repairing a $75 camera for $90 is reasonable from a
    consumer standpoint.
    It may reflect a fair price for the repair, but that doesn't mean it's
    reasonable from the consumer's standpoint to have the repair made when
    a new replacement is lower in cost.

    >These cameras are very fragile if dropped, or abused. Your daughter should
    >understand this. But, in any case, I have seen cameras accidentally dropped
    >from time to time. This is a part of life when using them.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    £90 repair Vs £110 original cost, it is important to know, its probably
    cheaper to buy new.
    "Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
    In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
    says...
    > One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD
    > screen
    > and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
    > Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
    > available.?
    > Ta
    > Pete

    First part:

    $90 dollars is CHEAP for a digital camera repair!

    Do not compare the repair price with the price of the camera, they have zero
    relationship to each other.

    Second part:

    The part would probably cost as much as a new (equivalent) camera. (the
    repair part would be sold at recommended retail, which is probably more than
    the actual cost of replacing the camera)

    Putting in the display is NOT something you can do at home unless you have
    the equivalent of a hospital microsurgery room, and some VERY tiny and
    delicate tools.

    After doing a google on the cx6200, I see that you can replace it VERY
    inexpensively at Staples, OfficeMax, Sears, Walmart, and just about any
    other
    store that has digital cameras for sale. All of these places have Cameras
    selling for around $100 (US) most with more resolution than the cx6200

    Buy the kid a new camera, or, let her understand that once something is
    broken, it sometimes has to stay that way.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    [This followup was posted to rec.photo.digital and a copy was sent to the
    cited author.]

    In article <cofcs3$er4$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
    says...
    > £90 repair Vs £110 original cost, it is important to know, its probably
    > cheaper to buy new.

    Sadly, this is true of MOST consumer electronis, unless the device is brand
    new, top-of-the-line, but then is usually covered (at least in part) by
    warrantee)

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are usually
    twice the normal selling price!
    A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent of
    $120.

    Thanks
    Pete
    "Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
    > In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,
    > peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
    > says...
    >> One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD
    >> screen
    >> and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
    >> Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
    >> available.?
    >> Ta
    >> Pete
    >
    > That's a $75 camera. New.
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ACXZU/ruggedeleganc-20/104-7498064-3177536
    > Buy another one instead, and you'll get a warranty with it.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Funk
    > Change "g" to "a"

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:15:44 -0000, "Pete Degnan"
    <peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are usually
    >twice the normal selling price!
    >A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent of
    >$120.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Pete

    Well, it's down to personal opinion, then.
    IMO, and for me, I'd get the new one. It will come with a warranty the
    repair can't match.
    You're talking about a $30 difference. Is $30 that much?

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Larry wrote:
    > In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
    > says...
    >
    >>One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
    >>and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
    >>Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
    >>available.?
    >>Ta
    >>Pete
    >>

    > First part:
    >
    > $90 dollars is CHEAP for a digital camera repair!

    90 POUNDS

    or, roughly, 170USD

    ;-)

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    In article <41ab412e$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com says...
    > 90 POUNDS
    >
    > or, roughly, 170USD

    Still cheap...

    Just not worth it for that camera.

    If the camera was worth 2 or 3 times the cost of repair then it would be
    worth it.

    Im going through the same thing with a washing machine!

    COST:

    5 years ago $799.00 (US)
    Repair Estimate: $65.00 (US)
    Replacement cost today $600.00 (US)

    Some of the parts are waranteed for 10 years, some are not.
    I'll need to pay for the estimate before I know whether all or some of the
    parts are covered under warantee.

    If the cost of the repair is > $300 (US) then the economics of the repair are
    in question.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Pete Degnan wrote:
    > Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are
    > usually twice the normal selling price!
    > A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent
    > of $120.

    Try Australia - you think YOU pay too much? :-) But I found eBay to be the
    answer. I've bought both my Coolpix and several accessories from US vendors,
    and even with the postage added saved around 40% on rrp here. Paying via
    PayPal is as easy as using your card at the supermarket.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram wrote:
    > Pete Degnan wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are
    >>usually twice the normal selling price!
    >>A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent
    >>of $120.
    >

    > Try Australia - you think YOU pay too much? :-) But I found eBay to be the
    > answer. I've bought both my Coolpix and several accessories from US vendors,
    > and even with the postage added saved around 40% on rrp here. Paying via
    > PayPal is as easy as using your card at the supermarket.
    >
    > Paul

    Distributors or subsidiaries run the show here in Oz, gouging us for all
    they can get. Companies like Canon and Sony like to play that game,
    making separate branches for Australia and then selling the same
    products at massively inflated prices. But the only way to get the
    warranty here in Australia is to give in to their demands. Other
    companies pull similar stunts with distributors, only selling through
    one distributor who fixes the price for the Australian market. Such
    policies stifle competition immensely.

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/
  14. ebay dirt cheap $20.00 used

    Kodak EASYSHARE CX6200 2.0 MP Digital Camera Outfit
    26 Reviews
    Item condition: Used
    Price: US $20.00
  15. very good used ones for 24.?? at amazon

Photo LCD Kodak Cameras