Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can it be repaired?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:57:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
available.?
Ta
Pete

More about : repaired

November 29, 2004 4:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
> and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
> Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
> available.?
> Ta
> Pete
>
>
>

First part:

$90 dollars is CHEAP for a digital camera repair!

Do not compare the repair price with the price of the camera, they have zero
relationship to each other.




Second part:

The part would probably cost as much as a new (equivalent) camera. (the
repair part would be sold at recommended retail, which is probably more than
the actual cost of replacing the camera)

Putting in the display is NOT something you can do at home unless you have
the equivalent of a hospital microsurgery room, and some VERY tiny and
delicate tools.


After doing a google on the cx6200, I see that you can replace it VERY
inexpensively at Staples, OfficeMax, Sears, Walmart, and just about any other
store that has digital cameras for sale. All of these places have Cameras
selling for around $100 (US) most with more resolution than the cx6200

Buy the kid a new camera, or, let her understand that once something is
broken, it sometimes has to stay that way.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

The price they are asking is reasonable for this type of repair. You cannot
buy this part yourself, or repair the camera yourself, so you are stuck to
have them service it, or get a new camera. Looking at the cost of a new
camera, I would be inclined to have her camera repaired.

These cameras are very fragile if dropped, or abused. Your daughter should
understand this. But, in any case, I have seen cameras accidentally dropped
from time to time. This is a part of life when using them.

--

Jerry G.
======


"Pete Degnan" <peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
available.?
Ta
Pete
Related resources
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

It does not sound like a do-it-yourself repair, but ask in
sci.electronics.repair.

Is the screen malfunctioning or is there just a crack in the glass or
plastic layer? If the latter, just keep using it the way it is.

"Pete Degnan" <peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD
> screen and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
> Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
> available.?
> Ta
> Pete
>
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,
peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
> and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
> Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
> available.?
> Ta
> Pete

That's a $75 camera. New.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ACXZU/rugge...
Buy another one instead, and you'll get a warranty with it.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 5:04:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:13:14 -0500, "Jerry G."
<jerryg-consult@NOSPAMca.inter.net> wrote:

>The price they are asking is reasonable for this type of repair. You cannot
>buy this part yourself, or repair the camera yourself, so you are stuck to
>have them service it, or get a new camera. Looking at the cost of a new
>camera, I would be inclined to have her camera repaired.

The camera can be had on Amazon (new) for $75.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ind...
Or
http://tinyurl.com/6gja3
I don't see how repairing a $75 camera for $90 is reasonable from a
consumer standpoint.
It may reflect a fair price for the repair, but that doesn't mean it's
reasonable from the consumer's standpoint to have the repair made when
a new replacement is lower in cost.
>
>These cameras are very fragile if dropped, or abused. Your daughter should
>understand this. But, in any case, I have seen cameras accidentally dropped
>from time to time. This is a part of life when using them.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 5:48:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

£90 repair Vs £110 original cost, it is important to know, its probably
cheaper to buy new.
"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c14ff3324f525c0989848@news.comcast.giganews.com...
In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD
> screen
> and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
> Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
> available.?
> Ta
> Pete
>
>
>

First part:

$90 dollars is CHEAP for a digital camera repair!

Do not compare the repair price with the price of the camera, they have zero
relationship to each other.




Second part:

The part would probably cost as much as a new (equivalent) camera. (the
repair part would be sold at recommended retail, which is probably more than
the actual cost of replacing the camera)

Putting in the display is NOT something you can do at home unless you have
the equivalent of a hospital microsurgery room, and some VERY tiny and
delicate tools.


After doing a google on the cx6200, I see that you can replace it VERY
inexpensively at Staples, OfficeMax, Sears, Walmart, and just about any
other
store that has digital cameras for sale. All of these places have Cameras
selling for around $100 (US) most with more resolution than the cx6200

Buy the kid a new camera, or, let her understand that once something is
broken, it sometimes has to stay that way.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
November 29, 2004 5:48:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

[This followup was posted to rec.photo.digital and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article <cofcs3$er4$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
says...
> £90 repair Vs £110 original cost, it is important to know, its probably
> cheaper to buy new.


Sadly, this is true of MOST consumer electronis, unless the device is brand
new, top-of-the-line, but then is usually covered (at least in part) by
warrantee)


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:15:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are usually
twice the normal selling price!
A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent of
$120.

Thanks
Pete
"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
news:o r1nq09osil9r505kt2k7aavg87sq35vna@4ax.com...
> In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
> says...
>> One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD
>> screen
>> and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
>> Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
>> available.?
>> Ta
>> Pete
>
> That's a $75 camera. New.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000ACXZU/rugge...
> Buy another one instead, and you'll get a warranty with it.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 1:08:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:15:44 -0000, "Pete Degnan"
<peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are usually
>twice the normal selling price!
>A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent of
>$120.
>
>Thanks
>Pete

Well, it's down to personal opinion, then.
IMO, and for me, I'd get the new one. It will come with a warranty the
repair can't match.
You're talking about a $30 difference. Is $30 that much?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 2:33:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Larry wrote:
> In article <cof9t8$4vu$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, peter@degnan2.freeserve.co.uk
> says...
>
>>One of my kids has a Kodak Easyshare CX6200. She has cracked the LCD screen
>>and Kodak want £90 to fix it!
>>Anyone know if this repair can be done by oneself and if parts are
>>available.?
>>Ta
>>Pete
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> First part:
>
> $90 dollars is CHEAP for a digital camera repair!

90 POUNDS

or, roughly, 170USD

;-)




--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
November 30, 2004 2:33:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <41ab412e$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com says...
> 90 POUNDS
>
> or, roughly, 170USD
>


Still cheap...

Just not worth it for that camera.

If the camera was worth 2 or 3 times the cost of repair then it would be
worth it.

Im going through the same thing with a washing machine!

COST:

5 years ago $799.00 (US)
Repair Estimate: $65.00 (US)
Replacement cost today $600.00 (US)

Some of the parts are waranteed for 10 years, some are not.
I'll need to pay for the estimate before I know whether all or some of the
parts are covered under warantee.

If the cost of the repair is > $300 (US) then the economics of the repair are
in question.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:26:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Pete Degnan wrote:
> Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are
> usually twice the normal selling price!
> A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent
> of $120.

Try Australia - you think YOU pay too much? :-) But I found eBay to be the
answer. I've bought both my Coolpix and several accessories from US vendors,
and even with the postage added saved around 40% on rrp here. Paying via
PayPal is as easy as using your card at the supermarket.

Paul
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 9:39:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Paul Bartram wrote:
> Pete Degnan wrote:
>
>>Yes, but unfortunately I live in "Rip-off" Britain where goods are
>>usually twice the normal selling price!
>>A used camera, same make and model on amazon.co.uk is the equivalent
>>of $120.
>
>
> Try Australia - you think YOU pay too much? :-) But I found eBay to be the
> answer. I've bought both my Coolpix and several accessories from US vendors,
> and even with the postage added saved around 40% on rrp here. Paying via
> PayPal is as easy as using your card at the supermarket.
>
> Paul
>
>

Distributors or subsidiaries run the show here in Oz, gouging us for all
they can get. Companies like Canon and Sony like to play that game,
making separate branches for Australia and then selling the same
products at massively inflated prices. But the only way to get the
warranty here in Australia is to give in to their demands. Other
companies pull similar stunts with distributors, only selling through
one distributor who fixes the price for the Australian market. Such
policies stifle competition immensely.

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
July 7, 2011 8:32:12 AM

ebay dirt cheap $20.00 used

Kodak EASYSHARE CX6200 2.0 MP Digital Camera Outfit
26 Reviews
Item condition: Used
Price: US $20.00
July 7, 2011 8:40:05 AM

very good used ones for 24.?? at amazon
!