Overclocking Wall Hit with Phenom II x4 965 BE

Dapake

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hello,

I have recently kinda hit a wall with my processor's clock speed. Right now it is at 3.9 GHz without me changing the Vcore voltage. I wish to at least push it to 4 GHz then I'll be happy. However, when I increase the multiplier, the Prime95 test is failed.

So, I tried increasing the voltage on the CPU (the voltage was already high with stock settings so increasing it made it go past 1.5 V).

Doing this made it last awhile in Prime95 testing but it eventually failed. Also my temps were pretty warm (almost 60 C)

So since the voltage is already high I was wondering what else I could do to push the CPU to 4 GHz? I have done a little research and it sounds like I might have to tweak the memory and northbridge freqs but I am not super sure about it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Btw this is my first time overclocking I feel pretty good about it so far.

Since you are using a BE cpu with any unlocked multi, you are not stressing the memory controller or anything else.

When you used to increase bus speeds, you would stress other parts of the system.

Chances are this is just what your chip can do, All are different.

You can try to drop the memory frequency, but I am not sure it will help any.

Dapake

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Thing is I have seen people OC it to 4 GHz and i just want that extra 100 MHz then I'll be happy haha but if not then Ill just be happy with what I got. Im pretty impressed with it so far to be honest

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Well make sure you have a manually controlled fan curve set up so your cpu fan cranks up to 100% at around 52C.

Are cool n quiet, C1E, as well as spread spectrum disabled? And be sure windows power management is set to performance mode with min/max cpu settings at 100% and system cooling policy is set to active.

Since you are new to overclocking I'd recommend you disable LLC for now and if you understand offset voltage use that if not just use manual voltage.

What HSF are you using?

Don't go over 60C cpu temp!

If prime fails you need more voltage on the vcore, sometimes 4.0Ghz on a deneb will be hard to hit with air cooling. 4.0Ghz was my max with a 212+ in P/P

Sheepsnowadays is right the N/B bump will provide substantial performance gains, but continue to focus on the cpu clocks untill you're 100% satisfied then work on the N/B overclock.

Dapake

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Cool n quiet are disabled as well as C1E however I have not checked spread spectrum. Also I believe Windows Power Management is seto to performance mode although I will double check. I am very skeptical on increasing the voltage from this point on as the temp is pretty mmuch the max it will be without being the in the danger zone.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I use asus ai suite II for fan control, but if that is not an option you can usually control them within the bios. You can also use speedfan but it is a little bit more work to set up than the other methods.

What is your vcore set at for 4.0Ghz and what does cpu-z report it to be under load?

Dapake

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Ok. I am not home at the moment but I will use AMD Overdrive to tweak fan settings.

Also, in BIOS CPU Voltage is set to 1.5 V. However, CPU-Z reports 1.568 V under Prime95 load.

Thanks for all the advice by the way

spaufkop

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I busy ocing the same chip right now and its at 3.8ghz 1.47v but under load it goes down to 1.43~1.44 temps are good at 45c do i try to go to 4ghz or stop here and try messing with the cpu/nb but i dont know wich voltage to use here and is it standard 2000mhz? will going to 2400 need more voltage and will this affect the ram in any way?

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Start a new thread and link it to this one, then I'd be happy to help you out. We don't want to clog up the original posters thread.

I would see how far you can get with large in place. while blend tests memory and indeed incompatible or not 100% memory can be caught with it, any cpu issues can also give an error on blend.

LLC is load line calibration. It prevents voltage drop at load and when set real high can even increase load voltage. It is sometimes desirable if you just need that little bit and do not want to use and offset or loose power savings settings. Let not mess with that, your voltage is already high enough.

What are your memory timings? lower numbers are like overclocking while higher numbers are like underclocking. If you are shooting for lower numbers, make sure you are running at the memory's required voltage or even a bit over(don't go overboard.).

While overclocking it is best to try to take the memory out of the equation, so maybe running it at stock or even slightly under while testing the cpu may be an idea.

Once the cpu is stable, then you can try to tighten memory timings and whatnot.

Dapake

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
My memory timings are at 11-11-11 for some reason while the clock speeds are 1600 MHz which are stock for my specific memory. I have not touched the memory voltage so it remains at 1.5 V.

Load Line Control is set to Auto (there is no disable option).

I ran Small FFT in Prime95 with no error. Since it doesnt test RAM does that mean it is a RAM issue if Blend Test failed?